playMaker

Author Topic: Camera moving up/down as rotating around Character [SOLVED]  (Read 1737 times)

Breadman

• Derp
Camera moving up/down as rotating around Character [SOLVED]
« on: January 29, 2014, 01:13:26 AM »
I have a fairly simple camera setup, where the camera aims at the character, and moving the mouse left or right causes the camera to pan around the character.

Somewhere along the line, my camera started doing this weird thing - as I rotate the camera around the character, it begins to elevate, and eventually moves back downward to its original height after completing a full circle.

The point where it always goes up/down stays the same regardless of the character's facing. IE: If the camera is facing "north", rotating it to face "south" will cause it to rise, as it rotates back to "north" again, it will be back to the normal position.

I've attached a little drawing, hopefully it helps explain the issue.

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm sure it's something stupid I'm missing or accidentally connected, but I can't find out what the heck it is, even after turning FSMs and their components on/off.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 05:44:18 PM by Breadman »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Camera moving up/down as rotating around Character
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 06:07:05 AM »
Hi,

you may experience either gimbal lock or look at "up" vector issues.

can you tell us more abot your camera rig?

bye,

Jean

Breadman

• Derp
Re: Camera moving up/down as rotating around Character
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 05:44:05 PM »
Gah, in the process of taking screenshots of my camera FSM setup, I found the error.

So much for me saying I checked everything  ::)

Turns out the camera had a "smooth follow" action, but its parent object also had a "smooth follow" action. Derp.

Thanks again, Jean, always patient with my simple mistakes!