playMaker

Author Topic: Dragon Quest Like RPG Battle System  (Read 4469 times)

Phillament

• Playmaker Newbie
Dragon Quest Like RPG Battle System
« on: February 14, 2014, 02:40:13 AM »
Hi,

So I've been using Playmaker for a few months now, and it's been pretty awesome, so far. One thing I really wanna do with this is make a simple rpg Battle system, though! Does anyone know where to start with this? I have a feeling I'm not the only one who wants to make a small simple turn based rpg, but has no idea where to begin.

Any help would be much appreciated!  ;D

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Dragon Quest Like RPG Battle System
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 05:01:04 AM »
Hi,

have you looked on the asset store. I never worked on a RPG myself, but there seems to be plenty of solution that would provide you with most of what you need.

Along that line, if you pick a package and needs custom action, let us know!

bye,

Jean

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 10:11:38 AM »
Actually, I think I might make an example of one of these soon. It seems like it's a fairly straightforward system to do since basically the FSM system really shines in this sort of situation.

There are some store assets that provide this but it will be much simpler to do with playmaker.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

Phillament

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 01:28:06 PM »
Hi,

have you looked on the asset store. I never worked on a RPG myself, but there seems to be plenty of solution that would provide you with most of what you need.

Along that line, if you pick a package and needs custom action, let us know!

bye,

Jean

So my goal is to use PlayMaker and PlayMaker alone to make this system work. I don't want to buy an asset for every project I wanna make, I wanna learn how to use PM to it's fullest.

I've picked a package, and it's PlayMaker, so maybe we should make new actions for RPGs?

Actually, I think I might make an example of one of these soon. It seems like it's a fairly straightforward system to do since basically the FSM system really shines in this sort of situation.

There are some store assets that provide this but it will be much simpler to do with playmaker.

Awesome, Lane! I'm looking forward to this! I just want to use PM to it's fullest and find what it does best!  :)

vonpixel

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 12:57:43 PM »
Stick with playmaker! Though- if you had to get 1 thing that I think would really help with a dragon quest style rpg- it would be Diakon Forge GUI library. It.. just saves so much gui time its amazing.

I built a little DQ / FF style prototype about a year ago. I started really simple with making two players in a party with very basic stats (To hit %, HP, MP, Defense)- and a few enemies and a random enemy spawner that could be controlled. An attack would generate a random 0-100 number, check against the enemies defense number and see if it hit.

It was really easy to get up and running I found.

If you start small and work your way out- things start to make sense.

The Hutong youtube channel helped me a lot too if you dont know where to get started.

Phillament

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 12:16:08 AM »
Stick with playmaker! Though- if you had to get 1 thing that I think would really help with a dragon quest style rpg- it would be Diakon Forge GUI library. It.. just saves so much gui time its amazing.

I built a little DQ / FF style prototype about a year ago. I started really simple with making two players in a party with very basic stats (To hit %, HP, MP, Defense)- and a few enemies and a random enemy spawner that could be controlled. An attack would generate a random 0-100 number, check against the enemies defense number and see if it hit.

It was really easy to get up and running I found.

If you start small and work your way out- things start to make sense.

The Hutong youtube channel helped me a lot too if you dont know where to get started.

Good to hear! What videos in particular helped?
I'm also seriously considering a GUI Plug-In. I don't like the native system Unity has. So cumbersome!