playMaker

Author Topic: Tutorial on making a tutorial?  (Read 3310 times)

TokyoDan

• Playmaker Newbie
Tutorial on making a tutorial?
« on: February 18, 2014, 04:08:56 AM »
Is there a PlayMaker tutorial for making a How-to-play-this-game tutorial?

parallel

Re: Tutorial on making a tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 04:28:00 AM »
Why would you need a playmaker tutorial for that? I don't understand your question at all.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 07:32:51 AM »
hi,

I guess you mean in game tutorial to guide users during their first step in your game.

bye,

Jean

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:44:36 AM »
There might be some 'best practices' kind of information floating around but there isn't going to be any specific tutorial telling you step by step how to do that because if you're to that point in your game then you probably already know enough to figure out how you should go about doing it for your game's specific application.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

TokyoDan

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 10:45:30 PM »
jeanfabre & Lane, That's right. I was looking for a tutorial on making an in-game tutorial with Playmaker.

marcos

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 07:37:54 AM »
I approached mine as a sort of sequential pause menu. So instead of just showing the pause menu, I would show the first bit of tutorial information, when you tap, it changes to the next string and so on.

Granted, it's not the most in depth of tutorial systems.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 06:10:28 AM »
Hi,

The trick is to built this in your logic, if you try to separate your tutorial from your game logic it will be very difficult, possible but requiring too much brainstorming for an average project.

It also depends what is the interaction between the expect action with AND without the tutorial on, that is, if you say "Click on this buton", you have to implement on the button a event being sent to the tutorial system to know this button was click. That's the most straight forward approach. With more complex UI, especially when one action can be achieved in several ways, this starts to become a bit more complex. In essence, you have to abstract each tutorial step you want to "show", so that the tutorial can know when this step is initiated and when this step is performed. Then it's all good.

bye,

Jean