playMaker

Author Topic: Math Game Like Typing of The Dead?  (Read 3410 times)

Phillament

• Playmaker Newbie
Math Game Like Typing of The Dead?
« on: February 18, 2014, 09:34:24 PM »
Hi guys!

I've had a game idea that I've wanted to tackle for a while now, and I don't know where to start with it. I was wondering how I could make a calculator, essentially, that prompts the player with math problems and asks checks to see if their input is correct. Here's a link to a game very similar to what I'm going for:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/greyalien/math-forever-2

Any and all help will be much appreciated! :D

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Math Game Like Typing of The Dead?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 06:14:45 AM »
Hi,

That's a bit broad to cover as is. You need to cut down your problem and tackle one of them, then move on to others, and then you can combine everything.

1: define a preset of equations

for this, XmlMaker or ArrayMaker will be very handy. You can also do all of this with gameobjects that you turn on and off in turn as you go along.

https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W715
https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W1133

2:

listening to user input. This can be done using a regular Field GUI action.

3: game score. This is also quite ok to do with simple math and an fsm.

If you have problem in a particular area let's refine this ok?

bye,

Jean

Phillament

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 08:15:45 AM »
Cool! I'll see how far I can get. I have never used either Array Maker or Xml Maker, so that'll take a while to learn. Where can I find tutorials or tips for them?
Also, is this method you're suggesting gonna have the game also calculating to see if the answers match? Or will I have to write the equations and the answers to them?

Thanks for the response, I thought this post got lost in the shuffle, I was losing hope.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 08:27:02 AM »
Hi,

-- the game should have the answers already written, this will be easier for you to create and manage at runtime.

-- ArrayMaker, xmlMaker: study the provided examples, it's quite advanced, so take your time, and progress one step at a time, first playing with just playmaker, then when you need lists and rich pre defined content, then you can tackle arraymaker and xml maker.

again, you can do this without arrayMaker or XmlMaker. simply have a prefab that holds the question and the answer, then create as many as you want in your scene, and turn them all off, then active the first one, let the user answer, if correct deactivate and move to the next one.

you could actually have all of them activated and placed next to another and have the camera move to the next one, then you have everything hardcoded ( easy to build when you are a beginner) and a nice camera animation from one question to the other.

bye,

JEan