playMaker

Author Topic: Get Name can't "Use Owner"  (Read 3072 times)

purbanics

• Junior Playmaker
Get Name can't "Use Owner"
« on: March 08, 2014, 03:02:49 AM »
Hi,

Why isn't it possible to get the name of the Game Object the FSM is on by simply specifying Use Owner as the target?

The Set Name action has Use Owner possibility, so why doesn't the Get Name action have this also?

Do I miss understand something?
How do you get the name of the Game Object the FSM is on, without this possibility?

I also tried the Set Game Object. First I would set "self" to a variable then get the name of the variable with Get Name but saw that that action also does not allow Use Owner.

Please shed some light on this, as I'm really confused now why this is not a possibility.

Thanks in advance,
Peter

purbanics

• Junior Playmaker
Re: Get Name can't "Use Owner"
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 03:47:23 AM »
I can solve this with a workaround, by parenting the object then getting the name of the child and finally passing that on to it in a global variable.
 :)

But still, why isn't it possible to simply do this by getting the name of the Owner?

Thanks,
Peter

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 08:26:22 AM »
I think it's just an oversight. I'll update the action in the next update. There's also a Get Owner action you can use instead of the workaround you described...

purbanics

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 08:51:40 AM »
Thanks, Alex.

I did not find that one.  :) I guess I just skipped through the Get Owner when I went looking for something to use. I probably interpreted that as Get Parent.
But no, it's the object its-self, the OWNER of the FSM.
Now I get it.

Thanks,
Peter
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 08:54:18 AM by purbanics »