playMaker

Author Topic: prefab won't update on model reimport  (Read 3036 times)

gerasimimumu

• Playmaker Newbie
prefab won't update on model reimport
« on: March 19, 2014, 12:15:23 AM »
Hello,

I have spent some time setting up a custom, GEO-based GUI.  Afterward, I have made it into a prefab.  Now I decided to make some changes to the GEO in my modeling program.  When I reimport the model, the GEO on the original is updated, but not on the prefab

What am I doing wrong?  I do not want to rebuild all of my GUI functionality, especially if I need to make more changes to the GUI later

Thanks,

G

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: prefab won't update on model reimport
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 04:48:13 AM »
Hi,

what's GEO?

Unity ba design doesn't allow you to reference from a prefab sitting in the project a scene object. It's something very important to understand so all reference to object outside its own hierarchy has to be done when the prefab is instanciated in the scene.

bye,

Jean

gerasimimumu

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 12:26:35 PM »
Geo is geometry - i mage my GUI out of geometry and set up mouse down/up event system

I am pretty confused by the answer.  If you make a placeholder model and you turn it into a prefab, are you not able to update the prefab, when you replace your placeholder with finished model?  My model comes in fine, and when I drop it in the scene (the original, not prefab I made from it), everything is as it should be.  But not on the prefab.  That stays exactly the same, not updating

gerasimimumu

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 09:29:13 PM »
Ok.  I messed around with my scene some more, and what I think I have done is accidentally broken the connection between my originally imported object and the prefab I made from it.  I have another object set up just like that and it updates the prefab when original is modified. 

The question now is, can I reconnect the prefab to the original, so they correlate and update?

Thx,
G

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 08:35:28 AM »
Hi,

yes you can, it's a unity option in the inspector itself. WARNING: make sure you backup if this is a sensitive projects, prefabs is not the most stable thing in Unity...

bye,

Jean