playMaker

Author Topic: asset not updating[SOLVED]  (Read 2132 times)

gerasimimumu

• Playmaker Newbie
asset not updating[SOLVED]
« on: April 08, 2014, 11:20:14 PM »
Hi,

I have a simple maya hierarchy prop with quite a few hours of working the FSMs

topGroup
   subFolder
       geometry1
       geometry2
   subFolder2
       geometry3
       geometry4

I added a new subfolder to my topGroup with a few new pieces of geometry in it.  When I bring it into Unity, I can see the asset is updated, the original, but it is NOT updating the prefab.  I ran into this problem before, when I accidentally broke the link between the prefab and the original.  I have NOT done it this time.  Now, if I want to use the updated asset, I have to rebuild all my FSMs again!

There is zero documentation on how to import and update assets when working with Unity Playmaker.  Is there something broken in my file?!!?  Should it be just a mouse click?!?!  I have spent 2 work weeks worth of figuring our my playmaker FSM set up, and rebuilding it again (for the third time) seems ridiculous!

Sorry for being pissy, I am very frustrated.  If I have to rebuild my FSMs every time I update each model, I will get nowhere fast

Maybe playmaker only accepts certain folder structures from maya (no sub folders, etc), but once again, there is zero documentation for how to maintain your FSMs on model update and compatible importing for playmaker functionality
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 07:53:18 AM by jeanfabre »

gerasimimumu

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: asset not updating
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 11:29:08 PM »
these are my steps

1.  I import an asset
2.  I drop it into my scene hierarchy
3.  I start setting up my FSMs for individual pieces of geometry within the asset hierarchy
4.  When I get to a certain point, I drop the asset into the "prefabs" folder, making it a prefab (so I can create/destroy the asset)
5.  I realize I need to add some more geometry
6.  I go back to maya and add geometry, save and reimport the asset
7.  The original model/asset updates in the asset folder and I can see my new pieces of geometry and materials, but the model in my scene hierarchy and my prefab are NOT updating

:(

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 12:20:45 AM »
Hi,

It's very likely that the prefab linkage is broken. Can you try with an odd behavior ( non playmaker). Is is the same issue then?

Bye,

Jean

gerasimimumu

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 10:50:57 PM »
I did some research online and it says that when you start adding components to an asset, it breaks the connection with the prefab and even if you 'apply' changes from your instance, it breaks some components.  I ended up getting a plug in to manage my prefabs and keep it from breaking for updating.  Seems to be working so far

G