playMaker

Author Topic: Returning a value from Sub FSM to Host FSM  (Read 3255 times)

troubleMaker

• Playmaker Newbie
Returning a value from Sub FSM to Host FSM
« on: April 24, 2014, 09:50:19 AM »
Hi,

I just recently discovered Sub FSMs and they are in a word amazing. Already now they seem to have completely changed how i work with Playmaker(i can't believe the feature is so hidden).

But i'm still a bit puzzled about what is the best way to get a return value from them back to the Host FSM. I mean setting the variables you want to link in the Run FSM- action is super easy, and from some of the stuff i read it kind of seemed that the sub FSM would also return the changed values to this same action, but that didn't happen with me.

Using Set FSM Float(or Bool,Int...) or sending actions to the host works, but it just seems a bit clunky compared to how simple the Run FSM-action works. Is there some way i can attach data to the Finnish FSM action. Or is there something else i should be doing here?  :)

Yanifska

• My Portfolio
Re: Returning a value from Sub FSM to Host FSM
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 03:09:40 AM »
I am totally ignorant about sub and host fsm, where should I start to understand those a little bit ?
Visit my portfolio: http://www.yanivcahoua.com/

troubleMaker

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 03:16:37 AM »
Well, there are no tutorials i know of, not much documentation and they are quite effectively hidden in one action...so you're going to have to learn yourself it seems :)

But basically you can start your journey by the Run FSM- action, that's pretty much all you need for Sub FSMs. Sub FSMs are just like any FSMs, the action is just a way to layer and organize things, so the complexity comes from the structure you want to give them.

Not sure if this helps.

Yanifska

• My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 03:28:04 PM »
Hehe, I am not sure either, but I think it has to do with hierarchical FSM ?
I will dig this.
Visit my portfolio: http://www.yanivcahoua.com/