playMaker

Author Topic: Photon  (Read 1597 times)

wheretheidivides

Photon
« on: May 29, 2014, 11:25:32 AM »
At some point I will try to get into networking but it seems really complicated.  For now, I just wanted to know a couple of things.

1) To connect, do you go computer to computer or do you set up a server?
2) if setting up a server, do you just use any old web site?
3) How does a player know who to connect to?  Does he type in an IP addess or do you have to set up some type of channel?
4) How would you start a game with settings?  Is there a settings channel that the players have to go to, set up the game and then play?

Thanks

cmy

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Photon
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 03:30:09 PM »
1.) The easiest way to use Photon is to use their cloud service. Create a Photon account at Exit Games, get your app ID. In Unity go to "Window->Photon Unity Networking and use the wizard to set your scene up for Photon. You will need to plug in your app ID. This service is free if you are only looking to host a handful of players, otherwise it will cost you money.

2.) Setting up for LAN can also be done through the wizard. I'm not sure about using a 3rd party service for hosting a Photon server.

3.) Photon uses a very easy to use lobby system which can all be setup through Playmaker actions. Takes a bit of work to get it going. Or else at game start you can just automatically create and join a room, then give the other clients the option to join the room, as long as they know what the name of it is.

4.) Photon does 99% of the work for you so depending on how your game is set up you will likely not need to worry about many settings.

The hardest part of setting up your game to work through Photon is tailoring the appropriate FSM's so that they function properly for a network. Takes a lot of brainstorming in my experience. Once you wrap your head around what Photon expects from your game, it gets a lot easier.

I'm sure others could add to this. Best of luck!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Photon
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 07:50:13 AM »
Hi,

You did very weel cmy, and I have nothing to add, but just to confirm what you just said.

go for their cloud solution, and keep at it, it's hard to get into networking, so don't give up, and make sure you fully understand the sample provide before diving into your own game implementation.

Bye,

Jean