playMaker

Author Topic: Multiple FSM [SOLVED]  (Read 2879 times)

LemonyNebula

• Playmaker Newbie
Multiple FSM [SOLVED]
« on: July 30, 2014, 10:29:38 AM »
Hey

I'm pretty much useless at all things code and am very much focused on the art side of things, so I bought this tool to help alleviate the stress of not seeing my ideas in action. Unfortunately, I know nothing, so here's a simple question I hope you can answer so I understand.

Is it better to have multiple FSM's within your project or to combine them into one or few large ones? A friend who uses a different program told me it can cause slowdown as its running multiple things, but I am having trouble getting things to work at the same time due to the nature of the states. Am I missing something? Is there a problem with having many FSM's?

Thanks guys
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 05:23:47 PM by LemonyNebula »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Multiple FSM
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 01:47:47 PM »
Hi,

go crazy with the number of fsms! don't worry about that for sure.

Typically, Playmaker is designed indeed to run multipl efsm, since as you mentionned, an Fsm can only have one state active at a time. It's not a restriction, it's a feature :)

What you need to be careful with is not the number of fsm, but what they actually do, that's the catch. Typically, don't repeat things when you can do them only once, don't "find" object everywhere, but instead manage them properly and reference them in variables at editor time or only once in a manager of some sort that other fsm will go and get, All these things are not really inherent to PlayMaker but more common practivce that must be applied within Unity itself.

In doubt, don't hesitate to post your specific feature implementation and we'll discuss it ( and don't hesitate to bump your threads :) )

Bye,

Jean

LemonyNebula

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Multiple FSM
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 02:07:38 PM »
Hey,

It's great to know the number of FSMs is not really an issue and so far I'm finding it all really interesting.  :)

I'll keep in mind not to repeat too much and try and keep it as clean as possible within the FSMs. I've got a long way to go but unlike standard programming I seem to be able to grasp this a bit better.

Thanks for the reply!