playMaker

Author Topic: Setting an FSM/node to use Fixed Update over Update  (Read 2704 times)

Red

Setting an FSM/node to use Fixed Update over Update
« on: July 28, 2014, 01:24:19 PM »
So, I've been reading up on the differences between the two and I think this might be the more reasonable way of addressing this.

I've worked on making a system that uses the physics to control an object and from what I can gather the FSM uses the regular "update" system which I've been finding isn't the most ideal to use when you're manipulating physics objects in unity since it tends to have the better results happen when you use the "fixed update" option.

So, I would like to request a way that you can tell an FSM or a node that handles physics to have it done on the "fixed update" instead of "update."

That said, I'm not sure how best to address this... Because I am gleaning some information that suggests that the way that the events fire off and the transitions happen is all on the update (unless I'm mistaken. I'm mainly guessing here at when the "Finished" fires off.)

So, would it be possible to add in a way to have a system that is manipulating the physics objects give the user the option of telling it to use the Fixed update as opposed to the update? I'm not sure if this would be on the FSM itself or on the actions that use it... Or maybe both... And I'm not sure if this would cause problems or not (since it'd probably require users to have a bit of a change in mindset in how they approach things such as having FSMs that are made primarily for handling the physics or other features that require the fixed update...)

Dunno... Just spitballing at the moment. I'm requesting it because I am suspecting that if I had that control I'd be able to make the systems I'm working on function much more smoothly and cleaner.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Setting an FSM/node to use Fixed Update over Update
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 03:03:09 AM »
Hi,

my take on this is to create a series of "advanced" actions where the user can select when to perform the action ( update, late updated of fixed update), this works for me and I am pushing every action I use on the ecosystem ( simply search for "advanced" )

This process is indeed a bit messy currently, I think Alex is trying to find ways to address it, maybe something will see the light, but I am not aware of any tangible work we can test on this.

Bye,

Jean