playMaker

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Widely varying functionality between computers with/without repository  (Read 1435 times)

Jophent

• Playmaker Newbie
Hello there,

So I recently created a build of my 2D game using Unity and PlayMaker, but I'm having some issues when it comes to distribution. The game works fine either locally or on a machine that has our repository.

The character normally rotates left and right when its assigned key is pressed down. However, this speed is significantly increased (by several dozen times, at least) when the game is downloaded on a computer that doesn't have our repository on it.

All of the core player functionality (including rotation) is done with PlayMaker, and everything else in the game is working exactly as intended.

Has anyone seen something like this before? We were hoping to send out the game to a few people for playtesting, but we've had to completely shut that down until this can be resolved.

Thanks in advance for the help!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:20:38 PM by Jophent »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Widely varying functionality between computers with/without repository
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 01:41:15 AM »
Hi,

I don't think it's related, do you publich the game as an exe or do you play within Unity?

if testers are using unity with a "pasted" project as opposed to a repository based sync, then it's likely that you are missing your project settings ( physics and time could have been tweaked).

also, are you sure it's not simply a question of frame based movement that on faster machine you get faster movement? it's always VERY important to have time based movement for a consistent experience regardless the framerate.

I would implement a simple framerate watched on screen and double check, if you find that on testers tat experience faster movement the fps is higher, then that's the issue.

Bye,

Jean

Jophent

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Widely varying functionality between computers with/without repository
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 12:07:06 PM »
Yeah, it actually ended up being an issue with frame-based vs. time-based. Just had to adjust the rotation action so it iterated over a second instead of merely per frame. That created a standard experience across all machines.

Although, it was strange that on all of our work computers it didn't show the same insane rotation speed while running the exe as it did on all other computers (especially when our work computers are definitely faster). You would have thought that at least one of those computers would have experience the variance based on framerate.

Thanks a ton for the help!