playMaker

Author Topic: RAIN A.I. and Playmaker  (Read 6887 times)

coffeeANDsoda

RAIN A.I. and Playmaker
« on: December 19, 2014, 01:22:35 AM »
Has anyone heard of it or used it in there Unity projects?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: RAIN A.I. and Playmaker
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 03:19:54 AM »
Hi,

I have tried to port it, but failed to find an intuitive solution to have PlayMaker and RAIN to work together.

My problem is that I don't see any possible way to properly define within RAIN how to communicate with PlayMaker without creating performance issues, because gameobjects would need to be instanciated everytime rain would want to communicate with PlayMaker, and so to run a behavior tree would mean dozens if not more instanciation, totally unacceptable from a performance point of view.

There is a task on the trello board.

I would love ideas and submittion of work on potential avenues for this.

Bye,

Jean

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 03:38:26 AM »
I haven't really done much in the pathfinding department for playmaker. At a certain point, I'd will experiment with A.I, but want to know what alternatives I have available that work alongside with it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 05:34:16 AM by coffeeANDsoda »

mdotstrange

• Can't code? Who cares! Make games anyway!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 07:33:15 AM »
I used RAIN for a few projects- it worked well but with my lack of coding ability I wasn't able to customize things much- it was solid for basic ai- patrol/chase player/attack etc- I found no way to integrate it with Playmaker though so they were separate-

I've been using Behavior Designer for advanced AI the past few weeks and it is great- I highly recommend it- it has awesome Playmaker integration as well- you can send variables back and forth from Behavior Designer to Playmaker- can also send events from BD to PM and run FSM's and do things based on the results etc- its really powerful

The workflow is also very playmaker-like as is the UI- it doesn't require any coding either- so especially as a Playmaker user I would recommend giving it a look-
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 07:39:47 AM by mdotstrange »
Indie game dev and instructor at the Strange School. Learn Playmaker at the Strange School!

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 11:03:30 PM »
Are there any alternatives to Behavior Design that are freeware?

mdotstrange

• Can't code? Who cares! Make games anyway!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 09:08:08 AM »
This is the only free behavior tree asset on the store I've found besides Rain https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/20280
Indie game dev and instructor at the Strange School. Learn Playmaker at the Strange School!

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 02:49:48 PM »
This is the only free behavior tree asset on the store I've found besides Rain https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/20280

What about a version prior to unity 4.5? Because I recently upgraded to 4.3.4.

emmcd3

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 02:14:20 PM »
I have worked with RAIN AI and it was on version of Unity 4.3.4.  What we were loking for was an AI which could handle several dozen characters in a hybrid RTS/3rd person environment.  It is to be non-traditional RTS and therefore would require character definition and fluidity of movement and local awareness more common in smaller horizoned games.  We found that RAIN was apparently the most optimal for an AI.  It was placed on the shelf , so to speak, for  couple of months to see whether it would offer capabilities such as coordinated group movement and the like.  Another consideration at the time was that Custom Actions did require specific attention to the API, not that it was a bad thing but you did have to work carefully with it.
About the only negative thing I can say is that the scripting interface was not well designed.  To have a command string truncated and not readily visible in its' entirety for QC'g is not good planning for the client community. Coupled with the fact that it box displayed back in 4 or 5 point font was a nightmare when you see to determine if there really was space entered or not.

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 03:43:41 PM »
What about using Rain in a 2.5d setting?

emmcd3

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 12:30:20 AM »
I can't say anything concrete on that topic.  You the Hutong Games Forum.

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 04:35:37 PM »
Sounds more to me that it's geared towards games that are 3D games or games with flat ground surfaces like a 2D RTS or something. Then I guess I will have to do more research on A.I systems to work well with playmaker.