playMaker

Author Topic: Picking up objects  (Read 19842 times)

coffeeANDsoda

Picking up objects
« on: December 31, 2014, 03:07:41 PM »
I'd like to know how can I set up a player to big up a object. I'd like to have the player to be able to pick up objects for puzzle purposes. Would it be required for each object to have a FSM in order to make this happen, plus, would that mean that the player would also have to have a separate FSM with a empty object parented to make the objects have a position while being carried?

https://db.tt/61MhSkk7

richardh

• Junior Playmaker
Re: Picking up objects
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 08:24:32 PM »
I too would like to know how to go about doing this in Playmaker. A youtube tutorial would be really helpful since it would utilise methods not seen the other 'Playmaker beginner' tutorials.

Could some one proficient in Playmaker put one together?

Please?

wheretheidivides

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 06:04:53 PM »
"A youtube tutorial would be really helpful since it would utilise methods not seen the other 'Playmaker beginner' tutorials.

On youtube they go over setting up the health manager and picking up objects.  It is a lot easier than I can explain.

basically, you set up a collision trigger.  then you when the player enters it a series of things are done like give extra health and destroy the object.  Watch the video.

Now, there may be a inventory manager for download on asset store.  I see them all of the time, but you want one that works with playmaker.  They are really cool as they will keep track of your stuff, actions, dialog and other things.

wheretheidivides

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 06:12:29 PM »
Squarebite Inventory
If you want an out of the box solution, here is one with playmaker support.  I have never used it.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/13203

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 07:45:18 PM »
When I mean by pick up an object, I mean literally pick it up and move it around. Not a health or item that would disappear.

richardh

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 07:55:27 PM »
@wheretheidivides you are describing a method of picking up items and storing them in an inventory. What I and the OP are looking for is a tutorial on picking a physical object up in game and being able to move that object about in the air and then place it in another location.

I have set up a FSM to do this but it has some problems that I can't seem to fix.

I think a fix for my FSM problem would be to find a way for the object I've picked up (and would be floating in mid air) to instantly drop to the floor is it touches any other object.

At the moment I can pick an object up and it becomes a child of the first person camera. I can then move the fist person controller around the game and the child object will float in front of the camera and move as the first person controller moves. I can drop the object too. BUT the problem is when it encounters either another rigid body (they both fly about) and/or it encounters any object that is not in the tag group I've set.

Also, if I drop the object close to a wall and then pick it up again, it will sometimes disappear through the wall.

I'm sure there is a way to achieve this but I can't find a solution.

Squarebite Inventory
If you want an out of the box solution, here is one with playmaker support.  I have never used it.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/13203

richardh

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 08:00:39 PM »
When I mean by pick up an object, I mean literally pick it up and move it around. Not a health or item that would disappear.

@coffeeANDsoda
I've almost done this but I have some problems that need to be fixed (see my above post). I could do with some help fixing the problems.

strange_aeons

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 08:34:07 PM »
i am a newbie at all this myself and i was playing around with a "Drag n Drop" kind of object pick up system a few days ago and i think i found that i encountered your problem also and it stopped happening when i set the object's "Is Kinematics" to on (its in the Rigid Body component of your object). you might want to have it so that kinematics turns back off when you let go of the object too if you want the object to interact with stuff.

richardh

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 04:50:19 PM »
Yeah, I tried  "Is Kinematics" but the object is then able to be carried through walls and dropped through floors/terrains.

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 08:23:58 PM »
Seems like people have the same issue as I have. Still stuck on it.

wheretheidivides

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 10:01:12 PM »
"Seems like people have the same issue as I have. Still stuck on it. "
How about taking some pictures of the settings that you are using.

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 10:41:22 PM »
How about taking some pictures of the settings that you are using.

https://db.tt/7DMM8ujc

That's what I have for it right now.

richardh

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 05:54:35 PM »
Okay, after much work! This is what I've got so far. Pick up and drop the green objects in this scene. It's rough and ready but it works. Try long enough and you will probably succeed in getting a green object to penetrate a wall or something.

http://bit.ly/14nElbL

And a bit of a YouTube clip:

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 06:55:16 PM by richardh »

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 07:39:20 PM »
What does that mean for the needed actions to pull this off? And what other objects needed to get it to work? Or since you are using a first person prefab? See I want to pull this off without using scripts or the third or first person controller prefab.

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D