playMaker

Author Topic: Rotate parent without rotating child?  (Read 3696 times)

ViRiX Dreamcore

• Playmaker Newbie
Rotate parent without rotating child?
« on: January 23, 2015, 03:53:42 AM »
Hi guys.

I'm trying to make a rotating wheel, but I'd like the child objects not to rotate with it. (Think of a wheel with platforms that stay in the upright position) I tried using a subtract node so it would subtract the parent rotation from the child, but I don't see anyway of passing the result from the subtract node to another variable.

How would you go about doing this? (The main rotating issue, not specifically passing the variable)

Thanks.

Arialle Körsbärsträden

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Rotate parent without rotating child?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 06:02:27 PM »
Rotating the parent will always effect their children as well. PlayMaker or not, I would recommend that the child wheel should not be under "that" parent. Hopefully, this solution is acceptable.

justifun

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 11:54:35 AM »
if you really must have things setup that way, you can store the initial position of the child object in world space, then every frame, set its position back to that while the parent is rotating.  It might look a bit jerky though.

wheretheidivides

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 12:52:33 PM »
It'd be better to make them separate objects.

OR make the inner wheel the parent the outer wheel the child.  That way rotating the child (outer wheel) will not rotate the parent (inner wheel)

OR make a new parent (empty object) and make the outer wheel and the inner wheel childs of the parent.  That way you can rotate either child indepenedently.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 12:54:18 PM by wheretheidivides »