playMaker

Author Topic: Forcing player to climb up a ladder automatically.  (Read 3225 times)

coffeeANDsoda

Forcing player to climb up a ladder automatically.
« on: February 16, 2015, 04:01:59 PM »
How would a playmaker user go about pulling that off? Having a cutscene where the player is climbing up one without not having control over it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:24:04 PM by coffeeANDsoda »

invayne

Re: Forcing player to climb up a latter automatically.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 10:21:59 AM »
best way would be to use triggers and and animations and move the player along the y axis. you can disable your controls as well so that the player cant control whats going on.

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 03:42:20 PM »
But the trigger would be on a separate fsm vs adding another to the player?

invayne

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 04:19:38 PM »
yeah just use go by tag

coffeeANDsoda

Re: Forcing player to climb up a ladder automatically.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 06:00:42 AM »
When I use itween move add with the vector parameter after having another state use set position action with the player as a game object it doesn't lift it?

invayne

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 11:17:01 AM »
you can use a linear transition since your applying a animation so i dont think move add is needed. you can also try moving it with force just set the force to like .0001 or something smaller depending how fast you want to move and just when then just turn it off when you reach the top with a wait command and a transition to a end state that re enables all your controls   itll take a bit of testing to perfect it but it'll work try break up the transition's. what i usually do when im debugging stuff for events is ill break up my fsm states into  multiple small ones  that use next frame events to move it through the string so i can see where it might stop ot where things might not be working correctly easier to read this way and when its all done you can condense it into 3 or 4 instead of 8 or 9 ec

set position wont move your character up vertically if you have your y axis frozen neither will  add force. that is if you have a ridged body component attached to the character

Rabagast

• Homepage
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 11:57:07 AM »
You can parent the player to the ladder when enter the trigger and use iTween Move To and set Space to Self.
Check out our homepage. http://www.walsberg.no
Or my personal game blog for news about my games. http://retro-tetro.walsberg.no

coffeeANDsoda

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 02:54:44 PM »
You can parent the player to the ladder when enter the trigger and use iTween Move To and set Space to Self.

When game object part of the get child action is set to specify? Problem I have with that is in order for the players input to do anything(mouse look, character controller, FPS script controls), it has to be the parent. Odd, when I set space to self, the player went off the stage. Plus if I do use get child, I'm suspecting that one would have to create a global variable that contains an empty object?

set position wont move your character up vertically if you have your y axis frozen neither will  add force. that is if you have a ridged body component attached to the character

Set position can't even be used for repositioning the player before a wait action is applied before transitioning into another state? The thing is I use Wait for each state dealing with movement to work at all. So, if I use rigidbody on the player that would help even though it has a character controller?

coffeeANDsoda