playMaker

Author Topic: Steampunk 3D Runner  (Read 8519 times)

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
Steampunk 3D Runner
« on: February 27, 2015, 05:37:32 PM »
Hey guys, just wanted to get a little feedback on the progress of my latest Playmaker project. There are a bunch of power-ups that need testing, but all in all I'm happy with the direction it's taken. It's been a lot of fun making this, I've been learning a ton about mecanim.

Special thanks to Rosalie for creating such a cool character!

You can try the Webplayer Demo or the Android APK on your phone or tablet.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:11:35 AM by Graham »
More templates on the Unity Asset Store!

Disclosure: We are using affiliate links to our assets; we may receive a commission for purchases made through them. This helps us to continue developing and maintaining great products!

coffeeANDsoda

Re: Steampunk 3D Runner
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 06:06:57 PM »
Hey guys, just wanted to get a little feedback on the progress of my latest Playmaker project. There are a bunch of power-ups that need testing, but all in all I'm happy with the direction it's taken. It's been a lot of fun making this, I've been learning a ton about mecanim.

Special thanks to Rosalie for creating such a cool character!

You can try the Webplayer Demo or the Android APK on your phone or tablet.

Demos challenging. Runs well.

rik

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 09:18:02 AM »
Hi your kit was nice but need to be smooth and the obstacles was not good you need to increase the player speed

rik

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 09:18:39 AM »
I think it was up for sale on asset store :D

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 09:32:24 AM »
@rik You mean the speed increase is too instant? Can you elaborate more on what is wrong with the obstacles?

Disclosure: We are using affiliate links to our assets; we may receive a commission for purchases made through them. This helps us to continue developing and maintaining great products!

sebaslive

• Frame Tale Studios
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 12:34:05 PM »
Hi Graham, looks real nice. That start up animation when restarting is cool but it feels a bit awkward that you have to hit retry, wait for animation to finish, and then press start. A quick start back into the action is always nice.

-When the screen moves up sometimes it clips through the roof.
-I am never looking at the UI so I did not notice what certain power ups were for but an idea would be to have each gear, when collected, move to the top right where the gear icon is and when you have x2 it shows two gears going up.
-at one point the high wall where you slide under obscured my view of the object you have to hit and it can feel like a cheap way to punish the player if they can't see it coming.
-every so often when I hit continue I immediately hit the object right after the one I hit. You could set a range around the player that clears the closest obstacles giving us a chance to get ready.
- I like the dynamic camera movement when going in and out of tunnels, up and down. When it goes back down we lose the avatar for a brief moment which might be critical for these type of games to never lose the avatar.

I like the Magnet power up and the effect it gives, and the shield power up and how it takes down walls if you hit it, I hope you come up with a diverse group of fun power ups that play with the robot theme.

Also it is always nice to have a background or purpose for gathering all these gears in a dangerous situation. Even if some people don't care about these things for some people it does!

Ruh Roh, I spilled all the gears along the sewer line and if I don't pick them up as fast as I can Dr. Robotdroid is going to repurpose me into a vacuum cleaner! AND the deadline for the annual Kill all humans science fair is tonight!

*I played this on PC and got to a high score of 6,236
All my VR games use Steam VR Playmaker Toolkit: http://u3d.as/u20
And Oculus Touch Playmaker Toolkit: http://u3d.as/QT5

Follow me @sebasRez

rik

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 08:25:32 AM »
obstacles need to be having space if we see obstacles in lane 1 there should be no obstacle in lane 2 or 3 so that it will be easy for the player to move from the obstacles

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 04:34:55 PM »
Thanks for the feedback sebaslive. I am already working on a few of the issues you mentioned. I may come up with a background story at a later time, but since this is going to be a kit I prefer to leave that up to the user making the game. If you guys have any cool ideas for power-ups don't hesitate to share them with me!

Thanks for clarifying rik. Some people like twitchier gameplay, some like it more laid back. More or less obstacles will ultimately be up to the person making the game from this kit.

PlaymakerNOOB

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 07:03:34 PM »
Little feedback:
using the current positions of Left High, Middle Low, Right High
-If you on left or right side, you can mash the opposite direction and change make it to the other side without jumping.
-When the game speeds up, you can slow it right back down by bumping into the wall over and over (when possible of course)
-Echoing Sebaslive about the camera not following the player when the player drops & when you use a continue you may hit something again without time to react.  Maybe add a 2 second invulnerability?

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 01:35:53 PM »
Thanks for the feedback PlaymakerNOOB, I do agree that the camera can still use some work. As for exploiting the slowdown, I plan to implement a chase enemy or something along those lines in a future update. This will only allow you to hit the wall once, hitting it a second time will cause the player to get caught and it's game over.

The first version of this is now live on the Unity Asset Store and 3DSauce.com! I've also just submitted an update that addresses numerous issues and adds Unity 5 support. Thanks for all the feedback!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 01:46:47 PM by Graham »