playMaker

Author Topic: When making an action, can I create branching choices?  (Read 1635 times)

Red

When making an action, can I create branching choices?
« on: March 22, 2015, 01:43:07 PM »
I'm finally getting off my @$$ and seeing about trying my hand at making a custom action. Mainly because it clicked, if I can put together a complex FSM then I DO have the head for programming in a sense... It's just a matter of knowing how to translate that from the FSM to a code-based approach (and to be fair I do have a decent amount of skill with MaxScript from my training and freelancing as a rigger and it's most definitely a programming language on it's own.)

So here's what I'm wondering. I'm trying to make a system that has movement for the player but clamps it within an area.

What I'm wondering is (and I suspect I'm overcomplicating it a bit) is this... Can I create a drop-down that auto-populates variables the user can input similar to the "Int Switch" action but instead of a number of int variables in that one it's a "Floats/Rect/Vector2" kinda deal?

So, say you choose the "Floats" in the drop-down... It then populates four float values you can input. In the case of the "Rect" it lets you pop in a rect variable and in the case of the Vector2 variable, it lets you do two vector2 vars (one for the minimum and one for the maximum.)

I know this might be biting off a lot more than I can chew since I'm not that skilled with C# but I think having those options would make it easy for someone to choose what they prefer if this is an action that is to be shared... All else failing that, I can work on the four floats thing but I would like to add in that extra functionality if at all possible (without making my computer catch fire, that is.)

Any actions you can suggest I look at (either stock or in the EcoSystem) to gauge what this is like or is this something that something unheard of so far?

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Re: When making an action, can I create branching choices?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 02:26:55 PM »
You have to make a custom Editor as well to go along with it that exposes the correct variables based on the enum dropdown choice.

It's really not that hard, just a bit to wrap your head around when you first do it.

We talked about it in this thread:
http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=9819.msg46625#msg46625
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D