playMaker

Author Topic: photon - won't send certain specific values over the network  (Read 2474 times)

benflock

• Playmaker Newbie
photon - won't send certain specific values over the network
« on: March 31, 2015, 10:11:28 AM »
hi

i am trying to use photon to build a simple multiplayer room with a slight twist.

i am using the MapNav plugin to make the game playable in the real world of a city.  My photon setup is working fine if i send local x and y values for the player and it all synchs ok with its counterpart, however as soon as i retrieve the GPS position from a script (i'm using the scripts that come with the MapNav library) it gets the LAt/Lng fine and i can see it updating in the 'owned' game object but it won't refresh the data at the other end.

i have tried dummy data, incrementing similar variables and it all goes over fine, but for some reason seems to get stuck as soon as i pull it down from a script (either directly or using global variables or 'getFsm' variables to reference the values indirectly.

i can't work out what the blockage is

if anyone has any thoughts that would be amazing, i would post an example but theres a whole mess of plugins and stuff that would need to come over with it

thanks a lot

b

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: photon - won't send certain specific values over the network
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 10:07:47 AM »
Hi,

likely you are not retrieving it properly. Are you sure you do that when "is Mine"? then are you sure you are setting the right variable, the one that is set to be synched over the network?

Then, are you sure there is a networkview observing the playmaker Fsm with this fsmvariable you want to synch?

Bye,

Jean

benflock

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 08:34:11 AM »
Hi Jean

thanks for the input

weirdly it works with any other data i pass to it and synchs them fine across the network,
i managed to solve what i was trying to do by passing different data and calculating it on the client side.

if anyone else is trying to make the specific combination of MapNav and playmaker and photon work give me a ping and i can break it down, otherwise it might be a little long winded for here.

thanks

b

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 09:03:24 AM »
Hi,

I am very sceptical that you can pass any data but this one... where did you get the script that deals with this data?

what value do you get on the slaved fsm? is it always the same, is it delayed?

Bye,

Jean

benflock

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 10:01:12 AM »
hi jean

if i pass any other bit of data to the variable (set up as it is in the worker demo) it goes accross the network fine, and is doing so at the moment in my working scene.

as soon as i used a 'get property' to retrieve the GPS location from the script it would update the variable locally but not synch it across the network. i tried all sorts of different ways of sending it but it would never update.

i was trying to retrieve the GPS to send the raw GPS across the network for the script to turn that into an X&Z for the instantiated objects.  instead i now grab the local x&z stream that and get the script to convert to GPS and back again on the client side (its a very specific solution to the combination of plugins i'm using)

but yeah in terms of it not passing that variable across i couldn't work it out, and like i said if i only sent a different variable to the same FSM it would synch no problem even if it was a different variable retrieved from the same script....

peculiar

b