playMaker

Author Topic: [solved] Warnings & GUI vs UGUI  (Read 3282 times)

Suppa

• Playmaker Newbie
[solved] Warnings & GUI vs UGUI
« on: August 16, 2015, 08:40:53 AM »
 Hi,

As a new user of Playmaker, I find it very hard to determine what I need to use, and if (YT) tutorials are still usable and up to date.

I'm using 1.7.8.3 & Unity 5.1.2.f1 and added Playmaker from the in-unity asset store in my project. The first thing I'm confronted with is a number or warnings about obsoletes in Playmaker scripts. Should I do anything with this or do I have to wait for an update? Maybe nice to add this info the 'upgrade window'?

The next thing is that when I add a state machine, I get the Playmaker GUI in my hierarchy. But this states that it uses the old system. UGUI is not added so now I have to add it manually, or use the eco system.

I couldn't find any guidelines what 'GUI' to use? Do I stick with the old one or do I use UGUI?

It would be nice to either smooth out these installs, or add this information to the manual instead of diving deep from the get go into the usage of the package.  :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 09:25:59 AM by Suppa »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: [Question] Warnings & GUI vs UGUI
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 09:17:02 AM »
HI,

I'm using 1.7.8.3 & Unity 5.1.2.f1 and added Playmaker from the in-unity asset store in my project. The first thing I'm confronted with is a number or warnings about obsoletes in Playmaker scripts. Should I do anything with this or do I have to wait for an update? Maybe nice to add this info the 'upgrade window'?
These warnings will be gone on the upcomming playmaker version.
They do not harm in any way, if you want you can remove the network folder in playmaker/actions if you are not using network then you will have less warnings

The next thing is that when I add a state machine, I get the Playmaker GUI in my hierarchy
You need a PlayMakerGUI in the scene to see Playmaker Gizmos, OnGUI actions and iTween path editing.
When you click on it you have some settings you can play with

I couldn't find any guidelines what 'GUI' to use? Do I stick with the old one or do I use UGUI?
It is better to use ugui, you can do a lot more with it.
the next version (comming soon) will have the ugui actions as a standard in its asset.

Suppa

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: [Question] Warnings & GUI vs UGUI
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 09:25:44 AM »
Hi Dino, thank you for your reply.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: [solved] Warnings & GUI vs UGUI
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 01:55:47 PM »
Hi,

I don't think it's planned to have uGui Actions included in the Standard PlayMaker Package. Maybe on day, but the current beta doesn't. It's ok tho, I think it's better to cut down on the PlayMaker package otherwise it would get too big.

Bye,

Jean

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 05:57:48 PM »
Hi,
my bad, i thought they would be, but tbh i think it should be standard because in most project you will need it.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 02:14:33 PM »
Hi,

this is tricky, I would agree with you, but then, it's necessarly the case in fact.

There are numerous UI solutions on the assets tore still, and many projects are not using the Unity UI.

PLus, the way Unity is evolving seems to indicate they are going for "Modular" approaches which I would suspect that soon you'll have to download specific modules, and the Unity main install would not have everything as it currently has. So I would think personnaly that for now we should be watching for how Unity will evolved and stay on the safe side of now including more custom actions that are specific to a particular module.

Bye,

Jean

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 03:17:51 PM »
Hi,
ah yes indeed that is true, many people use ngui for example