playMaker

Author Topic: Suggestion regarding Components and FSMs  (Read 4754 times)

Budde88

Suggestion regarding Components and FSMs
« on: September 17, 2015, 08:08:45 AM »
I love Playmaker, however with Unity 5, I find it to be limiting when building FSMs.
If I need a specific component to be referenced, The FSM has to be on that gameobject. But what if I need an FSM that references many components from different game objects? Well then I would need multiple FSMS, and even then there are still issues that can occur, and I am currently stuck on one at the moment.

So here is my suggestion :) (For a future update)
Create a function that allows the user to copy and paste a component from any gameobject in to the Target Object of an FSM of a separate gameobject.

I don't know if it's possible or not, but I believe this will allow for a much smoother work flow, and will certainly cause less clutter in anyones project.

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Re: Suggestion regarding Components and FSMs
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 08:22:15 AM »
The FSM's can be anywhere, actually. Off the top of my head the only times you really need them to be on specific objects is when you are using the Owner dropdown option in Actions or need a response from collisions/triggers.

You could design your FSMs in such a way that you would require them to be on specific objects, but you could also design the systems to be sort of like kibitzers placed anywhere.

Could you give an example of how its required in your case?
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

Budde88

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 02:39:18 PM »
Yes this is true,

Had I known the upcoming changes in Unity 5, I would have designed it differently. However I have to port over a very big project from Unity 4 and, I have scripts predesigned with single FSMS in One Gameobject, that access components in other gameobjects. It's kind of buggered up all of my work, and redoing everything with new FSMs etc will take me forever. Thats why I think it would be beneficial to have the ability to copy a component and then simply paste it into the Target area of a 'set property' action.

I find it so much easier to follow up on scripts when I know that if I press this button, that thing fades and that other thing rotates etc...
Too many FSMS on one gameobject causes unneccessary clutter.

I'm aware that everyones workflow is different, and not everyone can get their own way, but gosh, this would literally be a godsend.

PLEASE CONSIDER IT :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 02:49:21 PM by Budde88 »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 06:12:23 AM »
Hi,

is it not what Sub Fsm are meant to be? You can run a Fsm Template using the action "run fsm", and so you have nested fsm's in a way, making some very complex logic within only one fsm component on your GameObject.

Bye,

Jean