playMaker

Author Topic: PlayMaker 1.8 beta issue with Triggers in Unity 5.3.1f1 [SOLVED]  (Read 6677 times)

wilkinsense

• Playmaker Newbie
Hey everyone,

So my company has recently upgraded to Unity 5.3.1f1 and the PlayMaker 1.8 beta, and noticed that we're having some issues with one of our previously working features. We had a button that with an attached MeshCollider set to be a Trigger, but we've noticed that Actions are no longer responding to the TRIGGER STAY and TRIGGER EXIT events.

If I use a TriggerEvent action, I get the same results. Both scenarios will respond to On Trigger Enter (TRIGGER ENTER) and transition to the desired state, but will not respond to Stay or Exit events. On the other hand, if I write a MonoBehaviour that uses OnTriggerStay/OnTriggerExit, everything works as intended.

Please keep in mind that this only seems to happen when using a combination of Unity 5.3.1f1 and PlayMaker 1.8; if you use the PlayMaker beta with Unity 5.3.0f4, functionality is as intended. I think that Unity 'fixed' some issues with collisions and triggers in 5.3.1, and I'm worried that might have unforeseen ramifications. I haven't tried reverting back to 1.7 yet, or tried the newer patches of Unity, but I'll keep everyone posted on any further developments.

If anyone else has any feedback, or can also confirm this, it would be greatly appreciated. I've tried a number of things recently, and given the time-sensitive nature of my company's project, this has been a rather significant hurdle. In the meantime, thanks for your time.

UPDATE: Issue still occurs with 5.3.1p3.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 03:38:16 PM by Alex Chouls »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: PlayMaker 1.8 beta issue with Triggers in Unity 5.3.1f1
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 07:41:04 PM »
I also heard about some changes in 5.3.1. I'll investigate...

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 08:12:22 PM »
I just did some quick tests with 5.3.1f1 and trigger events seem to be working fine... Can you submit a bug report so we can get more info on your setup (build platform etc.).

Do you have a repro scene you could send me?

wilkinsense

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 02:19:20 PM »
Definitely can do. It has also occurred to me that this might actually be a problem with our other peripherals, the Leap Motion, so I'm going to quickly test against that and let you know as soon as I can.

wilkinsense

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 09:37:41 AM »
So I've got some really strange news, though I want to express now that the problem is actually not PlayMaker.

We've tried multiple different configurations, taking the broken scene, rebuilding it, stripping it down to just a few objects, and still found that we were getting the error. After a while, the problem just started fixing itself in various scenarios, which I wasn't too happy about so I'd start back with the broken scene and try again. Eventually, what I realized was that I'd gotten to the point where a build I'd just made was broken, and the next one was fine. I built it again, and it was broken. No changes, just Build Settings > Build again and again.

If I opened the build before Unity had finished it's post-build recompile, everyone worked fine. If I left it until afterwards, the build was broken. I'm going to investigate this further, and I wanted to thank you for your time.

phannDOTde

• Peter Hann .de
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 08:35:19 AM »
Bump. All so got issues on TRIGGER ENTER with U5.3.f1 and PM 1.8. Events work just fine in the Editor and all so on WebGL but not in a standalone build :-(

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 10:07:53 PM »
Any chance you could share your project (e.g., PM me a download link)? Right now we don't have a repro case for this issue...

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 09:07:04 AM »
Any chance you could share your project (e.g., PM me a download link)? Right now we don't have a repro case for this issue...

Hi Alex, I am having the same issue consistently with my Flappy Bird kit. It plays fine in the editor, but triggers are not working in builds. If you are still looking for a repro case I can help.
More templates on the Unity Asset Store!

Disclosure: We are using affiliate links to our assets; we may receive a commission for purchases made through them. This helps us to continue developing and maintaining great products!

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 10:39:00 AM »
Hi Graham, that would be great! Can you submit a bug report with repro steps so I can investigate... Thanks!

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 03:37:50 PM »
Just to follow up on this, I looked at the project and it turned out to be a problem with Tags not being saved in Project Settings. Tags appeared when loading a scene but were not in the build. Adding a Tag forced the tags to be saved to Project Settings and the build then worked as expected.

Seems like a Unity bug. Posting the solution here in case anyone else runs into this issue...

cung

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: PlayMaker 1.8 beta issue with Triggers in Unity 5.3.1f1 [SOLVED]
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 09:44:34 AM »
Hi Alex,
I just encountered the same bug. The triggers work well in Unity but not in a built project. After further investigation, it seems that the tags are indeed in cause: they are not saved in the build.

how do you force them to be saved in your project settings? I didn't get how you did it.

Thanks

EDIT: I got it. You force an object to be tagged at the beginning of the scene and everthing works nicely.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 09:54:57 AM by cung »