playMaker

Author Topic: Pathfinding Actions Beta  (Read 71569 times)

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Pathfinding Actions Beta
« on: March 22, 2012, 10:45:15 AM »
Download and test the new Pathfinding actions for Unity 3.5!
NOTE: Requires Unity 3.5 Pro (will not work with free version).

Jean Fabre has done an excellent job on these, and now we want to catch any bugs or usability issues on the forums before including them in the next release - so please post feedback here.

We'll post some sample scenes shortly, but you should be able to get started with the Unity documentation and these actions.

Thanks!
Alex

[EDIT jean Fabre] The latest package can be found now on the wiki: http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=1253.0
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:00:23 AM by jeanfabre »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
Re: Pathfinding Actions Beta
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 03:47:58 PM »
Hi,

Also, as a starting point for those you haven't found it, Unity provides samples for testing the pathfinding features, It's in the beta download page:

http://unity3d.com/unity/preview/download

The direct link is:
http://beta.unity3d.com/3.5-preview/NavMeshTest-3.5.0f1.zip

This is a very good base to start messing with this action package ( while the playmaker samples are being prepared).

Bye,

Jean

amaranth

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:50:02 PM »
Wonderful! I have something I can test them on. If I run into any issues, I'll let you know.

amaranth

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 10:26:49 PM »
Alex, do you have time to update the wiki for the new actions? I'm trying to use them, but I'm not sure what I need to do with a lot of the fields. Your wiki has been very helpful in the past. I'm attempting to start with 'Agent Set Path'. My goal is to have a monster walk over to another monster, using the shortest path.

amaranth

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 11:50:09 PM »
One small note while I'm getting started:

Nav Mesh Calculate Path Between Game Objects doesn't fit in the State window. The scroll bars help, but the action is a bit difficult to work with. I don't suppose this window could be adjustable? Anyways, thought I would mention it.

amaranth

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 12:10:23 AM »
I'm not sure if I've found a bug or if I've done something incorrect.

In the image below, I've capture some XYZ values and tried to get Nav Mesh Calculate Path to recognize them. Neither a success or fail case was returned as the result.

Note: My game is a 2D side-view platformer. The creature I'm trying to get to to move along a path is a butterfly to a flower. Not sure if this complicates things.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 12:34:50 AM »
You need to store the moth and target positions as vectors, then use those in Calculate Path.

amaranth

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 02:04:40 PM »
Fixed! I'm now getting a False return path, which is cool, but when I set a value for "Resulting Path not Found" to call a specific event, the event never gets called.

amaranth

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 05:39:43 PM »
Alex, I'm going to move to SimplePath for now.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 06:51:06 PM »
amaranth, I haven't had a chance to play with the pathfinding a lot myself yet... Jean Fabre worked on this, and became pretty familiar with the system, so he should be able to answer your questions when he gets a moment!

I'll try to spend some time with the system myself this week...

amaranth

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 01:18:15 AM »
Okay, I'll give it another go. My biggest problem is that I'm working on the XY axis and with creatures flying in the air w/o gravity.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 01:38:21 AM »
Hi,

Ok, I have been checking the samples provided with the pathfinding package, and in the scene Fsm_basic the "--calculated path--" gameObject and all is working well, I can trigger both events fine.

-- path will not be found if the destination is outside the nav mesh
-- pathfinding is a 2d thing, conforming to the navmesh, so it could be limiting for birds behavior indeed. I have requested this to Unity and they replied that they are aware of this limitation and it might get adressed in future releases, but for now, agent will have to conform to the navmesh.

What you could do is create a dummy agent ( with no mesh), and have your bird followin the agent, then you can adjust the height based on some parameters such as the distance from the base and the destination ( to take off and land).

As far as the integration in Playmaker, make sure you look at this fsm_basic scene, I focused quite a lot on this calculated path thing, so the fsm is suppose to cover most aspect of it ( simply move the targets outside the navmesh to fail it.

If you'd like to share your project, for me to have a look at it and better assess what could go wrong, feel free to pm me.

Bye,

Jean

amaranth

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 07:40:16 PM »
Jean, I'm going to test this tomorrow and get back to you soon. Thank you very much for your help!

SteveB

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 07:43:12 PM »
Hey Alex and Jean, what is the status of these Actions becoming 'official'...integrated into Playmaker and available upon import?

I'm assuming currently the only way to get them is to DL them here?

Thank you!

-Steve

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 03:50:42 AM »
Pathfinding is a Pro only feature in Unity, so it will probably always be a separate download.

At some point I'd like to have a built in Online Action Browser in Playmaker, to make it easier to download official action packs like this...