playMaker

Author Topic: Panzer Dragoon homing laser ideas!  (Read 5180 times)

clandestine

• ЯKD.ZONE
Panzer Dragoon homing laser ideas!
« on: March 28, 2012, 06:51:53 AM »
Hey guys, i've been thinking about how to achieve this effect, but i cant understand the concept of it in the first place (and was too embarrassed to ask until now).

So basically we have a target which is marked when the cursor passes over it and then homing projectiles are dispatched, not directly toward the target, but in an arch

or more interesting/complex figures such as this 'grid-like' homing shots

another more straight forward example would be

Can you share ideas of how to approach this with Playmaker?

Thanks in advance  :)

justifun

• 1.2 Beta
Re: Panzer Dragoon homing laser ideas!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 04:46:48 PM »
Not sure if itween's "accurate lob" example would work for a situation like this here

http://itween.pixelplacement.com/examples.php

But there's several ways you could achieve this.

One would be to keep track of which objects are getting tagged while the button is held down over them (targeting reticule or mouse cursor or touch), then upon release it would switch to a state that creates a missile object from the players character which then uses a itween path that's created on the fly between the players location and the position of each enemy, and the missile simply travels along that path until it reaches the end where it would explode.

I haven't played much with itween paths but i think all you have to do is create a few empty game objects (one for the player position, and one for the target, and one or 2 for the "arc" of the path of flight for the missile.

Then have the player one parented to the players position, and the target one would dynamically parent to the target object after being tagged.  The arc ones would have to be setup to be some sort of calculated distance between the player and the target.  eg: halfway between the two objects and up 10 units in Y for example.

Here's more info on the itween path editor

clandestine

• ЯKD.ZONE
Re: Panzer Dragoon homing laser ideas!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 02:38:51 AM »
Thanks a lot for the reply, this helps me create a mental blueprint of what is this all about. I completely forgot to check iTween  :-[
The Accurate Lob example looks pretty much what i want!

Thanks for the link... lets see what i can do
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 02:44:59 AM by clandestine »