playMaker

Author Topic: "I am Blondi" - Hitler's dog sim.  (Read 11580 times)

friendlydog

• Junior Playmaker
"I am Blondi" - Hitler's dog sim.
« on: June 13, 2016, 06:55:52 AM »
Hi,

here's my next game :
"I am Blondi"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kabukikat.iamblondi

In this one here you are the world most famous dog nobody knows.
And your master is the world's most notorious ultra super evil super villain.

Your master throws you an endless stream of fast moving treats right in your face, and being a dog (with no political agenda btw) you just want to eat it all (aka try to click on them all before they disappear).

However -cos it's Hitler- he also throws occasional hand grenades for no apparent reason. If you happen to eat one by accident; game over.

Any treat you miss will darken the master's mood (game health bar).
Fortunately, his random anger tantrums can easily be appeased by cowering in supplication (press and hold the "beg" button), and if you keep at it until he has reasonably calmed down, you'll regain his benevolence (health replenish).

Requires multitasking awareness and fast reaction skills.

FEATURES:
- exponential difficulty increase.
- endless game.
- sadly, no leaderboard, but also no ads!
- totally free.
- no android permissions crap.
- iOS version on the way.

NB: this is not meant to be an offensive game. No dubious imagery or symbols or names are used in this game - and no one dies either.

here's a dev log of sorts:
http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=12288.0

and more on twitter:
https://twitter.com/CubicleCat

and here are some pics:

basic gameplay anim:

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 07:00:14 AM by friendlydog »

Zeldag

Re: "I am Blondi" - Hitler's dog sim.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 12:42:32 PM »
Hi,

Real fun game, downloaded it this morning and now I've played it I get it fully :D .

Was quite addicted for a bit, only got 135 as high score after a few tries.

Not sure if this is a genuine issue or just that I suck, but when it switches to the 'nein' bit, it feels like I start to lose health instantly, like faster than I could ever react. I'm certainly not an expert in these games, but it feels like a short little warning moment just before I start to lose health would be nice and give me a chance to react to it without losing health. This is quite critical when I'm on a good roll but have low health and soon as it switches to 'nein' it is game over :(  .

Awesome, good looking, fun little game otherwise! Nice one!

friendlydog

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 01:16:50 PM »
ha! thank you! :-)

yes, it drops health immediately. that's the incentive to fear the "nein" phase just as much as embracing it for the healthboost.

I will try another build with less health loss!

btw: I just found a massive bug that makes the game slower and easier after you reach about 150 ;-)
gonna fix that at once.

friendlydog

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 03:32:29 PM »
now that it's done and out, I am throwing in all the rest of the devlog stuff I never had time to post.  :)

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 03:38:42 PM by friendlydog »

clandestine

• ЯKD.ZONE
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 09:36:53 AM »
Quote from: friendlydog
3. SUPER LAZY SHADING (and call it style)
Of course man! That's what talent is used for :P

friendlydog

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 10:52:49 AM »
Quote from: friendlydog
3. SUPER LAZY SHADING (and call it style)
Of course man! That's what talent is used for :P

hahaha. sounds legit  ;)

friendlydog

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 07:56:26 AM »
apparently too offensive (for some reason) for apple:

appstore rejection because:
"includes content that many users would find objectionable and offensive".

:o

Zeldag

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 02:39:41 PM »
Wow, sorry to hear that about apple, their loss I guess :)  .

I played the updated version a few days ago. Thanks for changing the 'Nein' damage, I like it like this (hope I'm not the only one :\  ). Did you think it worked better like this after testing it, or are you just showing us some mercy :)  .

I never got to 150 before the update, so I can't comment on the difference there, but what I can say is; it is pretty crazy and very satisfying after 150 now, but then around 300 I'm just lost lol, but again 10 odd plays ago I would have said the same about 200, so practice may allow me to go higher, but I'm not sure.

But yeah it is a cool game overall. My new highscore is 325! :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dv8qa4mhzv7qnag/Screenshot_2016-06-14-00-00-07.png?dl=0

friendlydog

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 05:36:36 PM »
Did you think it worked better like this after testing it, or are you just showing us some mercy :)  .

haha, no you were right. it works better now.  :)

congrats on the 325!!
I never got that far myself - you have thus successfully outplayed the dev of this game (even though I know exactly why and when the stuff comes flying)  :D

gonna post your score on twitter if u dont mind.

Zeldag

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 04:11:06 PM »
Yay, I am awesome... ...at being Hitlers dog at least :P .

After posting the screenshot I thought you will be saying you're in the thousands :D

Yeah you're definetly welcome to do what you wish with that screenshot. I'll let you know if i ever beat that score. I wonder if I'm the highest scoring player in the world??? That would be so awesome :D  , never happened to me before at anything.

ShazBang

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 07:12:25 AM »
That Franzl Lang! I never want to leave the main menu  ;D ;D ;D

ShazBang

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 07:16:43 AM »
The art style is really what makes this game, very well done man it looks great!

The only thing I could suggest is making it progress a little faster, it takes a while for  it to start getting hard, and people might lose interest.

Art style is awesome though I love it.

friendlydog

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 02:42:55 PM »

The only thing I could suggest is making it progress a little faster, it takes a while for  it to start getting hard, and people might lose interest.

Art style is awesome though I love it.

thank you!
about the difficulty progression:
true, I thought about the same thing. But I had some people playtest the beta and they were superfrustrated cos they thought it was too confusing in the beginning: and so they stopped playing it altogether.   :-\

balancing games is always a bitch. I have the greatest respect for devs who make "real", super complex monsters like all the paradox grand strategy games. 

friendlydog

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2016, 02:44:19 PM »
I wonder if I'm the highest scoring player in the world??? That would be so awesome :D  , never happened to me before at anything.

since only 9 people are playing this game, I would say you are most likely the best blondi player in the world!  :)

Zeldag

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 06:56:47 PM »
Lol :D

Sorry to hear about low numbers, I did share it on facebook, but to be honest I don't think many of my friends pay much attention to my game related posts anymore :D :D . One guy liked it though, if you have a one and only install from Denmark, that you can't track down to someone you know, then that is him by the way lol, but I never asked him myself.

Regarding the difficulty curve, it is pretty much exactly how I like it in these arcadey one life games. I like to feel a real loss when I die with a high score, and the fact that I'm going to start where things are quite unchallenging just adds to that somehow... Basically makes it feel like you worked for something and drags out the time played I think, before you die or something... 

:) . But again I'm weird and that is just me.