playMaker

Author Topic: If there is a Bridge Converter, world will be better!  (Read 1890 times)

human890209

• Junior Playmaker
If there is a Bridge Converter, world will be better!
« on: November 27, 2016, 10:00:54 PM »
Nowadays I'm studying BehaviorDesigner to build my NPC's AI, BehaviorDesigner works well with PlayMaker and I think this two powerful tools complemented each other.
I've found that BehaviorDesigner is using very similar TASK and Variable structure to Playmaker. Maybe it's possible using Microsoft Office Word to do some Task2Action and Action2Task Convert ;)
If there is a Bridge Converter Component or Add-on to make this happen in the editor or maybe runtime, Playmaker and BehaviorDesigner can share their functions and support parts of other unity add-ons.
That will save a lot of works and let users make full use of the advantages of both the tools. ;D

Is it possible for the Bridge Converter becoming true?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: If there is a Bridge Converter, world will be better!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 03:13:04 AM »
Hi,

It's very unlikely to become a reality unfortunatly. Making such a bridge is exactly the core issue of all major companies and projects using different softwares and technics for each distinct problem and then it's impossible to bridge them to unify and leverage. It always ends up with hand made bridges to bind different softwares together.

so yeah, ideally we should be able to do that, but computer technology isn't as evolved and not even remotly close to what conventionnal engineering can do in terms of leveraging standards protocoles, apis between software. It's a very interesting topic and many experts simply point that software development is still handled like pre industrial revolution, where we are craftmens, and every piece of software isn't simply replaceable by a generic part like you can on your car. Im computing science, the best we could come up sofar is to install THE FULL SET of libraries needed for as software, not just the few books that's use... this is a big issue, imagine that to read a book from the local library, you'd have to take the whole library home, because books depends one another...

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/11/programmers-should-not-call-themselves-engineers/414271/

We can see inside Unity for example that they are trying to fight this, but a "sub .net" option, and trying to be clever about what's needed, what's not needed in the final build, but we are still far... :)

so the day, programming will be truly following standards and strict protocoles, we'll definitly see an improvement in making bridges between various softwares.

anyway, drifting.. :) short answer, nop :)

Bye,

Jean

human890209

• Junior Playmaker
Re: If there is a Bridge Converter, world will be better!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 10:55:13 PM »
Thanks, Jean. I've learned a lot.