playMaker

Author Topic: Playmaker and Unity for the first time  (Read 2572 times)

hoyoyo80

Playmaker and Unity for the first time
« on: February 14, 2017, 12:09:20 PM »
Hi all.

Im currently hunting for a good engine for my project. Able to code a little but not in C#(unity use this right?).Since in Playmaker we can create/control game mechanism without coding, is it recommended to jump into Unity directly with Playmaker?
Or i need to have certain level of knowledge of Unity before using the addon. Please steer me to the right direction.

Thanks

• Beta Group
    • Flashing Lights
Re: Playmaker and Unity for the first time
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 01:15:49 PM »
Hi, I started with Unity because of Playmaker!
Not knowing anything about game design and coding, watched Hutong Games Youtube tutorials and learned from there.
Since then there are many user made tutorials as well, great learning course even if you don’t need particular feature in your project, that helps to understand overall mechanics and logic.

marv

• Junior Playmaker
Re: Playmaker and Unity for the first time
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 06:44:15 AM »
Heya, I started with unity+playmaker without any background/experience in coding as well, about two years ago now.

The one thing I will say, by my own experience and seeing often asked questions on here, is that it is worthwhile to not only focus on playmaker specific tutorials when first starting out.

One of the very first things I actually watched was a tutorial series on the new Unity Gui system which only had a tiny bit of scripting in it, but taught me a bunch about how to use the various inbuilt UI components. I then tried to replicate what had been done via scripting with playmaker actions, so the first thing I actually got was a kind of menu manager I'm still using (with a few tweaks) for my (very ui heavy) management sim.

There are a ton of good tutorials on Unity out there and a solid amount of tutorials on playmaker here (as 600 pointed out) that'll help in adapting techniques for playmaker.

A couple of things that I learned to use rather late and wished I'd learned about earlier are:

- Arraymaker for arrays and hash tables (I use those extensively, even now with the new array variable available)
- Datamaker to use xml for datamanagement
- EasySave2 not only for game saves but also useful for carrying data over between scenes

...and definitely get the ecosystem addon for playmaker, it's pretty much mandatory at this point to get access to a lot of really useful stuff for playmaker. (It might already be included in the playmaker package at this point, I'm not sure)