playMaker

Author Topic: Why doesn't the ship rotate ?  (Read 3397 times)

thierry_st_malo

• Junior Playmaker
Why doesn't the ship rotate ?
« on: February 18, 2017, 10:56:44 AM »
That's obviously a very stupid question and I'm ashamed of it, but I would be grateful for an answer. The image shows it all.
When I hit the R key, the "R Keydown" event fires and I get into the "Rotate Active" state. Once there, the "Rotate" action is executed again and again until the R key is released. But the battleship, corresponding to the "Active Ship" variable that is set in the inspector as you can see, does not rotate. Why ?

Thanks in advance,

Thierry

P.S : Same thing if I bypass the "Active Ship" variable and if I use the "Carnot" game object directly.

thierry_st_malo

• Junior Playmaker
Re: Why doesn't the ship rotate ?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 02:38:52 AM »
Would somebody answer my question, please ? Or is it that dumb questions aren't allowed in this forum that is only for "experts" ? As a comparison, I know of two other communities (blenderartists and blender clan) where even stupid people get help. And here?

Thanks in advance,

Thierry
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 02:52:20 AM by thierry_st_malo »

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 03:18:12 AM »
No need to be rude, there are a lot of topics, and sometimes some of them are simply overlooked.

Did you try it on some other axis or using the world space for rotation?

Also, i'm not certain if this action is transform.rotate or rigidbody.rotate, so try to put on a rigidbody, check fixedupdate in the action and try it like that.

You can also try storing the rotation axis into float variable, and then adding or subtracting from the variable by pressing key.
Available for Playmaker work

thierry_st_malo

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 10:47:21 AM »
I didn't mean to offend you, sorry if I did that.
Having said that, none of your suggestions works, I've tried them all. I'm not rude but I'm persistent ;). I think that we're on to something.
My question still stands and it's not stupid ;). For instance, something may be missing in the manual, who knows ?

Thanks for your help,
Thierry

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:55:36 AM by thierry_st_malo »

• Beta Group
    • Flashing Lights
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 10:56:51 AM »
Is the "Active Ship" variable filled with that ship game object?
Also, try to put a high number in that Rotate action, like 200 or 2000. If I remember correctly, with "Per Second" selected, those values needs to be much higher than Every Frame only.

thierry_st_malo

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 12:27:22 PM »
1 - It is.
2 - I have checked out the "per second" option to be as simple as possible.

My question still stands :)

Thanks to you, anyway.
Thierry

terri

• terrivellmann.tumblr.com
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 04:08:04 PM »
create a random cube and try to rotate that instead of the ship, with this same setup. does it work?
if so its likely that you are also setting the ship's rotation somewhere else and canceling this action out

thierry_st_malo

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 05:14:42 AM »
I followed terri's advice and replaced my battleship with a cube. It rotated nicely. Then I had an idea (it happens to me from time to time). I re-introduced the battleship and made it a child of the cube. Bingo !

Problem solved! But for me only, not for Playmaker. There's a problem hidden somewhere : in Playmaker, or in Playmaker's manual, or in Unity. What I've found is only a workaround.

Thanks to you all, anyway :D

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 07:26:13 AM »
Try figuring out what's happening so you can use the ship not childed to a cube, you can have a situation during the development where that kind of setup may give you headache. Maybe ship will have to be a child of some other object (squadron perhaps) and oops, you're going to have to make things more complicated then they are.

I don't think it's Unity or Playmaker problem, it would happen with the cube too if it was.
Available for Playmaker work

thierry_st_malo

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 12:44:08 PM »
@krmko - With all due respect : are you trying to say something to me?
I have two perfectly valid Game Objects ( a cube and a battleship ) that, when acted upon by the very same FSM, have different reactions. So : bug. Clear and simple. Now, which bug and where ? There you have me.

My question still stands, and it still has no anwer ;). But I have a workaround; thanks, terri.

Thierry

P.S : 40 years of experience with computers, and I've been a Customer Support Manager at one of our leading PC manufacturers. Believe me, I've tried a few things before starting this thread.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:56:42 PM by thierry_st_malo »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 02:49:46 AM »
Hi,

If you think you have found a bug, please pm me with your scene where I reproduce this and I'll get back to you with my findings. The Rotate action is very simple and use the Unity api in it's most direct form, and given the screenshots on how you've set it up I don't think it's the source of the problem.

So please pm e with this project and the scene and I'll have a look.

Bye,

Jean

ps: also, we appreciate frustration when you don't get an answer, don't assume people don't reply in purpose, just do friendly bumps every 3 days or so and pm me in the last resort if no solution is found.