playMaker

Author Topic: [Ecosystem] Notification when an Action has been updated  (Read 84 times)

Deek

• Playmaker Newbie
    • View Profile
[Ecosystem] Notification when an Action has been updated
« on: July 14, 2017, 02:20:12 PM »
Even though the Ecosystem is still in an early stage (at least according to its version number) it is missing a feature that I consider pretty vital: Notifying the user if any of the downloaded actions have an update available.
It is already checking what scripts are "installed" so it shouldn't be that big of a deal to give an indicator if some of the scripts are outdated (maybe an exclamation point next to them or on Unity start some Debug logs to be least obstrusive)

Background is that I was struggling a few months ago with the 'Draw Line' script to get it to work more smoothly, not knowing there was already an update on it on the Ecosystem that fixed a lot of stuff.

It could pose a problem that all those custom actions are in one GitHub Repository, meaning it's not that easy to push a newer version on to it and maybe it also is a bit more workload comparing all found actions to their GitHub version but it's still a feature to at least be considered and to make the life of every user a bit easier; especially with all these quite fast Unity updates (5.5, 5.6 and next 2017.1) wich can result in compatibility issues.

P.S.:
I know it counts as an Addon but I would need to be a board-member in Trello and this is just a short request.

tcmeric

• View Profile
Re: [Ecosystem] Notification when an Action has been updated
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 08:06:01 PM »
Hi Deeks. I will forward your request on to Jean who is the creator of the Ecosystem. He is away mostly right now, so he may not see/ be able to respond to your post right away, but Ill make sure he has sees it.

Deek

• Playmaker Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 08:11:25 AM »
Hi Deeks. I will forward your request on to Jean who is the creator of the Ecosystem. He is away mostly right now, so he may not see/ be able to respond to your post right away, but Ill make sure he has sees it.
Glad to hear, thanks!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 05:03:26 AM »
Hi,

yep, you have a very good point and indeed this is something that is important when the next major update of the browser will happen.

I already move to SSL for the server which is one step closer to be able to start implementing such features for secure and reliable sharing of user data, as I need this for some reference of users which means login info and credentials.

The beta version already implements scanning projects for assets, but there is no notifications per say, only the list of what can be updated.

The next major hurdle for this is convention, for versioning to work properly, there is the need for version convention system so that I know when an action can be updated and what that update is about.

So this feature is definitely not happening short term unfortunately, but I do appreciate ( because I am also suffering from the lack of feedback on my own projects too :) I use the ecosystem too :) ) the value of such feature indeed.

what I suggest you do is opening a github account and watch all the repositories used by the Ecosystem, and so you'll be informed of the various commits and can take actions ( each file being edited is documented in commits).

Bye,

Jean

Deek

• Playmaker Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 05:13:15 PM »
Well I'm always happy to hear that progress is being made in terms of finishing the Ecosystem, because I think it is amazing and super useful (next to the actual PlayMaker-Editor and the Action Browser my 3. most used PlayMaker Window) and it's a shame that it isn't included in the official PlayMaker versions, since it could help every unaware user find more specific actions tailored to their needs).

I already have a GitHub account and contributed quite a lot of custom actions with it (which can be found here: http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=15458.0, all free for any use), but it seems to be a bit tedious to manually browse through the Repositories of other contributors and search for updates or applying them myself through commits.

It's still going to be a rare case that there is an update on an action that seems absolutely necessary, but such a feature would certainly help make it a more robust system.

I appreciate that you're gonna take my suggestion into account, even if it might take a while to implement.

Greetings,
Deek

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 11:57:35 PM »
Hi,

yep, I agree with you, It's just at this point difficult to justify spending too much time on this for a free service basically, I was contemplating the possibility of making a subscription based ecosystem with additional features such as notifications, favorites, etc etc, so all content would still be accessible for free for everyone, but if you subscribe, you get more tools and a better workflow.

How does that sound for you?

I saw your work, indeed you have done a lot. Some actions already exists ;), but you have indeed a lot of useful stuff in there, maybe you would be ok to move your content over the Ecosystem? I can give you access and we can have a skype session where I can explain you how it all works, the conventions, etc?

Bye,

Jean