playMaker

Author Topic: [SOLVED] using the network demo files  (Read 2579 times)

kiriri

[SOLVED] using the network demo files
« on: May 14, 2012, 12:29:33 PM »
So I tried the new networking features and am very surprised to see how easy to pick up they are. However, I am not able to make the demo files work on multiple PCs at the same time. If I run multiple instances of the game on one PC, everything works fine, but if I try to host with one computer , and then access the game via another PC, it doesn't seem to get through to it. Is this my fault or is it the demo files?

(Btw, I'm not sure, but there might be a bug in the 4th network demo file. According to the state machines, it's supposed to destroy the cube once the player leaves, but that event is only triggered once the player has left the network, which in turn means the server won't actually know that it's supposed to be deleting the cube...)

Cheers!
,kiriri
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 01:43:28 PM by Alex Chouls »
Best,
Sven

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: using the network demo files
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 08:51:21 AM »
Hi,

If you want to have multiple Pc running, you will need to set up a proper server, Unity networking I think requires it, as it's not like the photon networking system that can work in the cloud without server, and actually assigning one of the running client as "master", With Unity networking, I don't think that it is possible. If however you have a working system with just scripts that does that, send it our way, and I'll look at what could be wrong or missing in the demos to have working.

Bye,

Jean

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 01:33:32 PM »
You may need to play with "NAT punchthrough" to allow the computers to see each other.

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Components/net-HighLevelOverview

Check out the "Connecting servers and clients together" section.

kiriri

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 01:25:01 PM »
thank you for your replies.
I thought I had set up the server correctly... But I might have made some errors there since I'm new to this. Photon looks much easier though, I think I'll try to switch to that. And I'll definitely check out the NAT punchthrough too :D
Thanks again for your help !
Best,
Sven