playMaker

Author Topic: Looking for feedback on setup  (Read 1296 times)

zeeawk

• Playmaker Newbie
Looking for feedback on setup
« on: September 28, 2017, 07:49:19 PM »
I'm looking for some feed back on whether im setting these up correctly or not.
I 6 total FSMS on my player right now. They look like this:
Player

Movement

Jumping

Ladder:

Moving Platform Test

Pickups

Thore

Re: Looking for feedback on setup
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 10:06:12 PM »
Not sure, depends on what you are trying to achieve, and the actions. A few FSMs for player control alone are typical.

The Input One seems wonky.

What you should check is whether you use get key down or get axis & get button down. This is often wrong in tutorials. And the get key down action probably should warn new users to strongly consider  get axis & get button down in combination with input manager.

Quick Help: in Input Manager (read), you can bind keys (also several) to a button name or axis name. In the FSM you simply use get axis or get button (down), with the exact name of one button as defined in Input Manager.

The principle is the same as key down, almost. The main difference is that you have all inputs in one place, and you can setup multiple inputs rather easily (you can duplicate button entries with CTRL+D too, just like GameObjects).

The name of the input should be short, and descriptive. Jump, Use, Attack, etc. Case sensitive. In the FSM you use those names, in the Get Button Down action. Then, you simply bind keys/buttons/joystick/controller whatever to the inputs. If you want to double them, no problem. You can have a Jump entry several times, one for keyboard, one for controller etc.

Try also YouTube, and normal tutorials. You can skip the code part, or get a sense of how the logic works, which can help to adapt it for Playmaker.

Cheers.