playMaker

Author Topic: Question about Move Towards Advanced (custom action from the ecosystem)  (Read 1925 times)

kavery

Just noticed this action.. I see it allows you to pick the update type (on update, on late update, on fixed update).

I use move towards quite a bit so I'm wondering if another type might benefit performance. The moving game objects are kinematic rigidbodies with multiple box coliders.

Any practical reasons when to pick one over the other?

Also what type is the original move towards action?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:33:35 PM by kavery »

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
It's recommended to put physics stuff in fixed update since it doesn't depend on the framerate. The Update and Late Update functions run at every frame, while Fixed Update runs at a fixed rate independent of the framerate. Move towards uses transform.position so fixed update is best for the performance all-round.
Available for Playmaker work

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Hi,

yep and lateUpdate is used when you want to adjust camera and transforms after all objects have moved in the scene, else you would have jitters.

bye,

Jean

kavery

Thanks guys.. any idea why I'm getting an error when adding that custom action to my project? "...marked as an override but no suitable method found to override"

Using Unity 5.3.4.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
Hi,

can you paste the full error content?

bye,

Jean

jeanfabre

• Administrator
Hi,

also, please don't double posts, I removed your other thread on this, let's carry on here.

Bye,

Jean