playMaker

Author Topic: Who the heck is Alex and why does he show up in my errors?  (Read 2048 times)

fletcherkildren

• Playmaker Newbie
Who the heck is Alex and why does he show up in my errors?
« on: January 19, 2018, 10:36:43 AM »
Hi all!

Haven't seen this too much (except where other people have posted errors and this happened to be in them) but I get a 'cannot play disabled audio source and it always points back to C:/Users/Alex/Documents. Any ideas what this is about? Full error here:

Can not play a disabled audio source
UnityEngine.AudioSource:PlayOneShot(AudioClip, Single)
HutongGames.PlayMaker.Actions.AudioPlay:OnEnter() (at Assets/PlayMaker/Actions/AudioPlay.cs:65)
HutongGames.PlayMaker.FsmState:ActivateActions(Int32) (at C:/Users/Alex/Documents/Unity/Playmaker/Projects/Playmaker.source.unity/Assets/PlayMaker/Classes/FsmState.cs:199)
HutongGames.PlayMaker.FsmState:OnEnter() (at C:/Users/Alex/Documents/Unity/Playmaker/Projects/Playmaker.source.unity/Assets/PlayMaker/Classes/FsmState.cs:169)

Deek

Re: Who the heck is Alex and why does he show up in my errors?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 02:42:25 PM »
Alex Chouls is the creator of PlayMaker (at least from my understanding) and you see his personal directory in pretty much every PlayMaker related log because it traces the error back to its source and that's where they keep/kept the original/main PlayMaker version that gets distributed to every user (some details might be wrong but that's the gist of it).

Also weirded me out whe first using PlayMaker to see a different directory than my own in the console, but it seems that they either didn't care to change that or that Unity requires a source path anyway.

Regarding your problem: Could you provide a screenshot of the action and the AudioSource component you're trying to access? Reading from the log you're using the Action 'Play Audio' and referenced an GameObject with an AudioSource in "Game Object" that is disabled (or the GameObject itself) at runtime when this action gets called.

fletcherkildren

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 04:33:05 PM »
Hey Deek, thanks for the info! As far as the error, I've got 72 'audio play' actions being used - any idea how I can narrow it down?

Deek

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 05:57:54 PM »
There are several approaches on how you can debug such behaviour:
1. Observe the AudioSource components you're referencing, to see if any of them or their GameObjects get disabled at runtime;

2. - if all those actions are in one state, you can use the halving-technique by disabling/deleting half of all the actions, then run the game to see if the error still gets thrown; if yes: halve the remaining ones, if no: undo and disable the other half until you close in on the action(s) that are causing trouble (of course you shouldn't save the scene during debugging to easily roll back any changes)
- if you have those actions in several separate states you can just exclude certain states by not transitioning to them to see which of the remaining states throw errors and then narrow those down by halving their actions;

3. Use the FSM Log to see what actions and transitions the current FSM goes through or the FSM timeline to see, when which state/action gets called (both show only information at runtime and are located at the Menu Bar>PlayMaker>Editor Windows);

4. Check if there are any errors in the Error Check window (at the bottom left of the PlayMaker Editor, normally showing 'No Errors' with a green circle) that could give additional info on wrong action setup

But judging by the error you're receiving, my best bet would be that there is just some other action possibly from a different FSM disabling the targeted AudioSource(s); if so you'd need to find that through different means.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 02:14:32 AM »
Hi,

Yep, Alex is the one behing PlayMaker :)

The error in itself is quite obvious right, you have a disabled audio listener onyour camera or player. It's not the action itself that is the problem but the setup in the scene.

Let us know if you struggle finding your disabled audio listener.

Bye,

Jean

Bye,

Jean