playMaker

Author Topic: Clone States or Template States  (Read 2096 times)

Geropellicer

• Playmaker Newbie
Clone States or Template States
« on: January 20, 2018, 10:41:56 AM »
Hey I've been developing via PlayMaker for a couple of years now, and one thing that I always end up needing, specially when building large FSMs is the ability to replicate a state (or a group of states) to perform the same task but with different output. I normally can't use the same state for different tasks because of the transitions.

However this could change if we had the ability to use "Clone States" or "Template States": basically the idea is the same that template FSMs, in which you edit once and change all the FSMs using that template, but with states. So in an example FSM you would have state "B" which has its set of actions. It then transitions to state "C". Later, I need the same functionality that in "B" but this time I have to transition to state "Z". So normally I would copy state "B" and change the copy's target to "Z". But this is difficult to maintain, since each time you change something in "B", you have to change it in all the copies. However, if we had Template States, you could just create  " B' ", and then " B'' " and " B''' ", all with different targets, and when  you need to edit the content of the states, editing just one would change both " B ", " B' ", " B'' " and " B''' ".

Template Fsms kind of could work for this situation, but I tend to use Sub Fsms for longer processes than just one state repeated in one FSM.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Clone States or Template States
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 08:27:03 PM »
Hi.
I think you mean something like on this topic?

http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=13084.0

it is on the roadmap, you can post there also.
The more will ask the bigger the chance it comes sooner.