playMaker

Author Topic: Can playmaker do all this?  (Read 4494 times)

venain

• Playmaker Newbie
Can playmaker do all this?
« on: May 30, 2012, 07:32:55 PM »
Hello friends!,

I'm very interested in purchasing playMaker to help me prototype a game in unity. I'm a 3d game artist but I'm pretty new to scripting. I am however, a very fast learner, and I'm not worried about the challenge of learning the software.

Basically I'm wondering if playMaker can handle all the things I need for my prototype, and I'm wondering if someone with experience could let me know how much manual scripting/coding I'd need to do or if everything I need is possible via playMaker.

Here's the list of features:

-Diablo style hack and slash controls/camera (isometric, click and hold to move, click to attack, hotkeyable abilities)
-A basic inventory system with visually equippable items (equipping a sword shows a sword model on your character, etc)
-A basic powers system
-A basic branching talent tree system
-Extremely basic AI with pathfinding (basically they need to move towards a point and have the ability to die after x damage)
-2v2 multiplayer (this is optional, but would be nice)

Obviously this isn't a "simple" undertaking, but I'm in it for the long haul. If anyone has any insight I'd love to hear it. I'm itching to press that purchase button, I just want to know if I'm making the right choice.

Thanks!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Can playmaker do all this?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 10:38:34 AM »
Hi,

the short answer is yes, playmaker can do all this, and if you are not afraid of scripting a bit, you'll have the winning combination!

now, with no scripting at all, I would however recommand you to get ArrayMaker as well, which will allow you to store information in arrays and hastables for reference. Without this, you would struggle big time for inventories and similar stuff.

-- networking, yes: a photon integration is currently in beta, and it works very well
-- ai and pathfinding, yes, unity pathfinding is also available in Unity

the rest of your descriptions are I think totally feasible and really is matter of design, not feasibility.

If you don't know how to script custom actions ( cause actually, playmaker building blocks are simply actions, scripted in a very standard way, meaning everything is possible), don't hesitate to ask on this forum, we'll do our best to answer and help you out.

Bye,

Jean