playMaker

Author Topic: SOLVED:No Exit... door collider stops my character..  (Read 3397 times)

markfrancombe

SOLVED:No Exit... door collider stops my character..
« on: June 13, 2012, 04:23:43 PM »
Hi, I need a sliding door just exactly like the simple No Exit demo door... walk towards, it opens.

So Ive pretty much copied the No Exit door
(small difference... take that later, I am wondering about the way NoExit is designed)

However, the problem I have is that my character cant get through the collider! I suppose the character controller has some kind of collider (or I suppose it would fall threw the floor).

Im sure this is a "super newb" question and pretty simple to answer.

So I have another question regarding the way No Exit uses 2 positions and just blends between them. ISnt it a it resource intensive in some way to have an animations running the whole time? Even if its a one frame animation with no movement?
What if my game might end up having 100 doors, all with animations connected... ?

Regards

Mark
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 04:53:03 PM by markfrancombe »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: No Exit... door collider stops my character..
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 01:42:16 AM »
Hi,

For your player, you will need to make sure it's set up like on the no exit demo. Not easy, but pay attention to the component attached to the no exit player and spot the difference between yours, or better, import the player from no exit into your game and see if it works.

as for the "play animation" action, once the animation is played, the action is then idling, so it won't have any impact if you increase the number of doors to high numbers. In short, the "play animation" fire once the animation and then do nothing.

bye,

Jean

markfrancombe

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 04:39:02 AM »
Thanks Jean!

Im sure that if I used the component in No Exit, it would work as you say, unfortunately my character controller is a rather complex beast, with all sorts of cleverly added scripts added for footstep sounds and animations and photon network play etc.. Is there by any chance a different invisible "field" I can use other than a collider, or a way for my character to NOT collide with certain colliders that will be used for triggering stuff, like tagging them as such?

And thanks for the explanation of Play animation, I think that clears it up a bit. It does seem that in No Exit the door is being held shut by a running and looping animation, till the collision happens, but I may be wrong about that.. will check when I get home...

Thanks again

Mark

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 06:18:46 AM »
Hi,

I would go for a brute force check if tags are out of the questions and used already for a different meaning. simypl receive the trigger and collision and filter by gameObject names or other properties of the gameObject that collided or triggered your player.

Maybe the key is to actually modify the door system, not the player system. If you know that a particular set up works with triggers with your player apply the same technic to the door.

Bye,

Jean

markfrancombe

SOLVED:No Exit... door collider stops my character..
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 04:52:37 PM »
OK,,, figured it out.. and it was so stupid...
I deleted the building mesh colidor and STILL my charater couldnt walk thru the walls so I seached thru my stuff and found an invisible sneaky box collidor from... welll somethign else, that was simple impeding my way into the building... So there WAS nothing wrong with my script, or my plan, just a messy scene...

Carldavis

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: SOLVED:No Exit... door collider stops my character..
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 01:40:17 AM »
But you would have not delete the building. You might have search some another way to in order to cross the walls.
Building comes under the category of the real estate : cotation immobiliere

markfrancombe

Re: SOLVED:No Exit... door collider stops my character..
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 03:03:56 AM »
I think u misunderstood My explanation. Sorry. I meant that the building itself had a collider that I didn't know about embedded in the prefab. When I exploded the prefab I found it, deleted it and all was fine. course then my character could walk thru other walls too, so I simply reconstructed the collider, this time leaving an opening by the door, so that after playmaker had opened the sliding door, I could walk in.