playMaker

Author Topic: Trouble with countdown timer with 1/60 seconds [SOLVED]  (Read 2847 times)

ToxicFrog

• Beta Group
Trouble with countdown timer with 1/60 seconds [SOLVED]
« on: February 16, 2018, 11:23:24 PM »
Hello Playmaker Friends,

I've built a timer that is intended to display a countdown in seconds, while showing the decimal value of a second.

In other words, 3 seconds would look like this:
2:59
and the '59' would rapidly count down (from 59 to 0 in one second) before changing to '1:59'.

I've built the timer, and it works functionally, as in all the countdown digits behave as intended.

My problem is that I cannot make the game accurately count down a proper second.

I have a 'WAIT' state, that waits for 0.01666 seconds (the decimal value of 1/60 of a second). And it WILL NOT count down fast enough. Each 'second' actually take roughtly 1 1/2 seconds.

I set the Project Settings -> Time -> Fixed Timestep to 0.01 and 0.016, and it doesn't fix the problem. It will NOT count down in increments of 0.01666 seconds.

When I change the WAIT state to 1 second, it perfectly counts down in 1 second increments. But I need it to count down in increments of 0.01666 seconds, and it just will not do it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, and I'll reply with results from any suggestions!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:54:26 PM by ToxicFrog »

antibob

• Playmaker Newbie
    • BillsClass
Re: Trouble with countdown timer with 1/60 seconds
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 05:29:26 PM »
Use "Convert Seconds to String" action. It will give you accurate milliseconds. Just use a float variable as the number of seconds. Works like a charm.

ToxicFrog

• Beta Group
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 04:44:40 PM »
Thanks for the reply, antibob.

But, I guess I didn't explain my problem accurately. My timer's DISPLAY is working fine. I have an FSM setup to convert 2 INTs to strings, which are shown as text on a canvas.

I have the INTs labeled 'Prefix' and 'Suffix', so the String is created like this:
[Prefix]:[Suffix]

So, 3 seconds looks like this:
2:59

I have a WAIT action, set to wait for 0.01666 seconds, after which it subtracts 1 from the suffix. So it SHOULD do this:

1. Build String from [Prefix]:[Suffix]
2. Update text (every frame, displays 2:59)
3. Wait 0.01666 seconds
4. Subtract 1 from suffix (now 58)
5. Update String  (now 2:58)

This counts down so that the Suffix is a very quick countdown from 59 to 0 every second.

My problem is that when I use a WAIT action, it will not wait for 0.01666 seconds.

For whatever reason, it will wait for longer than 0.01666, and it's not giving me an accurate second-based countdown. So it appears my problem is with the WAIT action.

I thought changing the project's Fixed Timestep from 0.02 to 0.01 would fix it, but it did not.

Does this make sense?

ToxicFrog

• Beta Group
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 05:19:26 PM »
Additional info:

I've done some experimenting, and it looks like the WAIT action just will not work as expected if the wait time is less than 1.

*EDIT:
That may not be accurate.
I tried another test, where I animated the timer object. I animated its position on frames 0 and 1 (with a step of 60), so that it would play its animation in 1/60th of a second. Upon finishing the animation, the next state would add -1 to the Suffix INT.

Unity is not keeping up with the timing. The countdown is just not going fast enough.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what might be causing this?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 05:59:32 PM by ToxicFrog »

antibob

• Playmaker Newbie
    • BillsClass
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 07:13:37 PM »
I'd suggest moving all the logic to floats and see if that helps with precision.
All numbers can drift a bit but floats give you a little more control over math functions. Also, consider building your own time function based on a float that governs your "Time". It may still be relative but it may give you a bit more control.

Finally, Have you looked at Chronos https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/particles-effects/chronos-31225? It has it's own time manager. I'm not sure if it would help in your specific situation but it's worth a look.

ToxicFrog

• Beta Group
Re: Trouble with countdown timer with 1/60 seconds [SOLVED]
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 09:56:13 PM »
I found a good solution.

As I said, I could not get Unity to count down accurately in increments less than 1 second.

So, I found 'Clocks and Timers' on the asset store, which lets you create a timer with millisecond precision. It's got some Playmaker hooks, and all the elements from the script are accessible enough that I was able to get the desired result.

I appreciate your help!

ToxicFrog

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Trouble with countdown timer with 1/60 seconds [SOLVED]
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 01:23:06 AM »
Hi,

Very good, I am glad you found a solution, and thanks for letting us know :)

Bye,

Jean