playMaker

Author Topic: Making an app 101 - Questions from a first timer  (Read 3331 times)

Krillan87

• Beta Group
Making an app 101 - Questions from a first timer
« on: February 28, 2018, 04:42:02 AM »
Hello dear community!

I have been using Playmaker for a couple of years now to make different PC games. Now I wanted to try to make a very simple app in 2d, no fancy stuff.

So I got the whole setup and everything working fine I just have some questions regarding the actual development.

When it comes to the graphics of the app, like the background, icons, sprites etc, do I need to use vector graphics? If I zoom with a "pinch zoom" the resolution of the a regular jpg-picture makes it look very bad.

Like generally speaking. If I want a straight solid red background sould I:

1) Make a 3d cube with a red material?
2) make a background panel on a canvas and use a "background image" and turn that red? (This is the way I want to do it)
3) Some other vector stuff?

Basically, I wounder what is the best practices making a straight 2d app?

/ Christian

MattyWS

• Junior Playmaker
Re: Making an app 101 - Questions from a first timer
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 04:52:07 AM »
I use double or quadruple resolution images to what size they would be in game. In fact I’m currently working on a 2d game and my objects typically only take up 1x1 unit in the game, but are 512x512 pixel images. No one will ever see that blur. :p

Can you not set your cameras background color to red? I would do that but in my case I made a gradient image uncompressed and have it scaled up full screen and attached to my camera, maybe not the best practice though.

Krillan87

• Beta Group
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 07:44:29 AM »
I use double or quadruple resolution images to what size they would be in game. In fact I’m currently working on a 2d game and my objects typically only take up 1x1 unit in the game, but are 512x512 pixel images. No one will ever see that blur. :p

Can you not set your cameras background color to red? I would do that but in my case I made a gradient image uncompressed and have it scaled up full screen and attached to my camera, maybe not the best practice though.

Thanks for the answer. After I made this post I already made a lot of progress lol. I forgot that TextMesh Pro now is free in Unity so that helped a lot. I also gonna check som basic tutorials on youtube so see how ppl work with images and backgrounds on apps.

thanks for the answer tho!

verybinary

• Junior Playmaker
    • The Museum of Digital
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 11:50:04 AM »
Using a canvas would use "all" of the canvas system. If you have more you can put on a canvas to make it worth it. In a 2d game, I would assume you would. A cube or plane would make you not need a canvas, but would default to reacting to a light source unless you killed the specular, or gave it a nonlit shader.
The included image option wouldn't have to be big. You could do a 4x4 for a solid color. You wouldn't lose anything. Huge images would be overkill when typically, images are over half of a projects built size.
But I like krillans camera color suggestion if the background never changes. It would be the quickest, and cheapest.