playMaker

Author Topic: Character Customization  (Read 6872 times)

3d_Artist1987

• Beta Group
Character Customization
« on: July 02, 2012, 05:10:38 AM »
hi,

how to make Customizable Characters in my game with playmaker?where i get to dress up character, change the clothing, etc.

dev

Jernau

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Character Customization
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 07:56:33 AM »
Hi dev,

The impression I get from this question (and some of your other questions) is that you're hoping PlayMaker is going to give you large pieces of game functionality (such as a custom character creator) with minimal effort from your end. Unfortunately, that's not exactly how PlayMaker works.

PlayMaker is one level of abstraction above scripting, but it's still a tool for designing low-level game logic. So if you need a custom character creator in your game, then you're going to have write the multitude of FSMs required for posing the model, and swapping the clothing / hair / faces on your model. This will be almost certainly turn out to be both complex and time-consuming.

I would highly recommend that you first try to get comfortable with PlayMaker and basic FSM concepts; perhaps by completing a simple game in the style of Pong, or Breakout, or Tic-Tac-Toe. Once you have a simple game under your belt, then you'll be in a much better position to ask the right questions for attempting something as complex as a custom character creator.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 08:15:35 AM by Jernau »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 08:53:05 AM »
Hi,

Yes, if you want to study how playmaker is working on simple games to start with, have a go at this:
https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W880

and for your customizable character, you should split up the features and start working on very specific aspect of what you want to achieve, then it will be easier to post questions on the forum that will likely get you useful answers.

Bye,

Jean

3d_Artist1987

• Beta Group
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 09:08:45 AM »
hi,

thanks Jernau and jeanfabre for yours suggestions.

dev

3d_Artist1987

• Beta Group
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 03:55:47 AM »
Hi,
 Actually I am in the learning face of Unity 3D and more keen to know what is possible with less knowledge of programming as basically I am an animator. So asking more questions on Playmaker's capacity and how it can help me do things even if I do not have enough coding/programing knowledge.

dev

alvanorichie

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Izod Clothing Online Site
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 06:06:29 AM »
Hi,
 Actually I am in the learning face of Unity 3D and more keen to know what is possible with less knowledge of programming as basically I am an animator. So asking more questions on Playmaker's capacity and how it can help me do things even if I do not have enough coding/programing knowledge.

dev

Same here dev, newbie in animation industry but going forward with step by step procedures:)

3d_Artist1987

• Beta Group
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 11:58:02 PM »
hi,

playmaker is very good for non programer,so you are right way.

Dev