playMaker

Author Topic: How do you use the Get/Set Event Properties Actions?  (Read 3072 times)

MikeTelly

• Playmaker Newbie
How do you use the Get/Set Event Properties Actions?
« on: May 30, 2018, 09:49:16 PM »
I just noticed that these two events exist. Previously, to send variable data side by side with Events, I've just used the Set FSM "variable" actions right before the Send Event action. It seems that these two actions though are specifically designed to couple Events with variable data. I'm just confused as to how Playmaker knows which Event to couple the data with. Is it the literal next Event that the FSM fires off? Is the strategy to use a Send Event action right below the Set Event Properties action?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 09:51:16 PM by MikeTelly »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: How do you use the Get/Set Event Properties Actions?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 01:59:16 AM »
Hi,

you use them like SetEventData and GetEventInfos.

you set properties just before sending the event and you get properties after you received an event.

event data is not coupled with events, it's a timing thing. event data is a value that lives in the ether of PlayMaker (public static property).

Bye,

Jean

MikeTelly

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 03:59:49 AM »
Hi,

you use them like SetEventData and GetEventInfos.

you set properties just before sending the event and you get properties after you received an event.

event data is not coupled with events, it's a timing thing. event data is a value that lives in the ether of PlayMaker (public static property).

Bye,

Jean

Oh okay. In that case though do you suggest using them? Are they better than the "Send Event Multi Set" action on the ecosystem or just setting variables on the target game object just before sending an event? Currently I'm actually having an issue where for some reason a Get Event Properties action isn't properly getting the variables. That is unless I delay the Send Event and Set Properties action by at least more than 0.02 seconds. It's very confusing :/
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 04:08:55 AM by MikeTelly »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 06:28:08 AM »
Hi,

they work the same I think. Have you tried with a regular event data passing, does that issue disappear?

Bye,

Jean

MikeTelly

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 03:55:54 PM »
Hi,

they work the same I think. Have you tried with a regular event data passing, does that issue disappear?

Bye,

Jean

I tried with the Set Event Data and Get Event Info actions and it worked without the delay, which is extremely weird. Even worse is that when another FSM sends the exact same event and set's it's own Event Properties, it works without a delay.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 04:15:39 PM by MikeTelly »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 02:48:23 AM »
Hi,

woah... that's odd indeed.. what is the value you are testing with?

Bye,

Jean

MikeTelly

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 05:54:01 PM »
Hi,

woah... that's odd indeed.. what is the value you are testing with?

Bye,

Jean

Was setting 3 variables. A gameobject, a bool and a vector3. Honestly I decided to just swap it out with a Send Event Set Multi action. Everything works well, but it would be nice to have those actions work (seem useful for sending many events to different objects).

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 03:04:27 AM »
Hi,

uhm, I'll need to study what different, as right now, I am not sure what differs in the way it's been build.

But, it's good that you have a work around for now.

Bye,

Jean