playMaker

Author Topic: Action Name Override (local)  (Read 5457 times)

wyliam

• Playmaker Newbie
Action Name Override (local)
« on: April 24, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
Just another suggestion after having worked in Playmaker for a couple weeks.

I'd say most of my time is spent digging through the actions in the state frame to debug the problem. It's easy for that list of actions to get pretty big. When you collapse the actions, the name of the action remains. Unfortunately, it ends up looking like: "Trigger Info, Game Object Compare, Get FSM Bool, Bool Test".

It would be super helpful to be able to override the titles in each of the actions (local to that state only, with no impact to it's function). "Is Enemy Attacking" is easier to get an overview of the actions instead of the default name "Get FSM Bool".  Pretty soon you can read the lists like method names.

Maybe the tool tip could include it's proper name?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Action Name Override (local)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 01:46:54 AM »
Hi,

Yes, can't find the post where I made that "request" as well, but totally agree with you, also, the actual proper name of the action should remain somehow, yet be complimented with your own "title" for it. I too find cumbersome to have to look at what variable it is accessing and basically reverse engineer everytime the set of action to get the real effect of a state.

I'd like to see something like : "Bool Test: Is Enemy Attacking?"

This would also need to go in the pref, following Alex moto to keep things simple. Being able to toggle this ability and having off by default would keep playmaker magical simplicity and allow more productivity and clarity when the need arise.

Bye,

Jean

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 03:29:26 PM »
This is actually in the next update. Playing around with making it do some "code folding" as well, so you can show/hide a group of actions under one descriptive title... should be pretty cool.

tobbeo

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 04:45:53 PM »
This is actually in the next update. Playing around with making it do some "code folding" as well, so you can show/hide a group of actions under one descriptive title... should be pretty cool.

Sweet!

wyliam

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 09:24:49 PM »
*Cheer!* ;D