playMaker

Author Topic: SimpleMove and others Vector 3 variable?  (Read 2480 times)

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
SimpleMove and others Vector 3 variable?
« on: July 17, 2012, 01:05:05 PM »
So this tool is made for artists so I'm going to assume that asking really stupid questions about a visual scripting tool or programming is okay =)

When I add an Action like Character > Simple Move... What is the vector 3 variable? I can't figure out what to do with that and every action i add seems to want it. The drop down is empty and I don't understand how to "get" the vector3 variable or whatever it wants.

I'm trying to do basic independent WASD movement on a top down shooter and aim at the mouse pointer.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

Uttpd

• Junior Playmaker
Re: SimpleMove and others Vector 3 variable?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 06:16:14 PM »
check the video tutorials (all )--> for the controller the "Mouse pick" one was the key to get me in the right direction.

Vector3  stores the  x,y,z  position in space of any given point. with 3 floats (x,y,z,). This point can be your mouse click or the position of any given object etc...

I Eventually went with the "smooth look at" and "Move Towards" since them my controller is now a full spaghetti dish with animation graph and keyboard input... probably not the best example of best practices but it works as i imagined it!

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Re: SimpleMove and others Vector 3 variable?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 07:22:07 PM »
Didn't have sound at the work computer so I was stuck without the videos. Thanks for the reply!

Just got home and started tinkering with it and ZOMGSWEETJEEBUS this is awesome.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D