playMaker

Author Topic: List generation output [solved-ish] :)  (Read 2200 times)

artician

• 1.2 Beta
List generation output [solved-ish] :)
« on: July 26, 2012, 11:28:33 PM »
Hi,

So I have a project that features a wide variety of characters.  These characters are assembled at runtime via a random string generator FSM.  What I'd like to do now is use this with the Arraymaker actions to store this character list in an array.  

The problem I have is that the quickest way to actually generate my character creation strings is via the FSM that I already created.  It takes in the 12 or so categories of customizable parts, and the maximum number of each part in each category (so manually typing would be a nightmare, but I also can't use a blanket random number generator since each categories max type is different).

What I'd like to do is output these strings to a text file, or at least a file format that I can easily copy and past the data into (to later be parsed by the ArrayMaker actions).

Can anyone suggest a way I can do this with Unity?  I only know of the PlayerPrefs storage, which clearly isn't really an option.  I'm out of ideas and I'll take the next best thing to manually hammering out all possible combinations for these.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 12:27:52 AM by artician »

artician

• 1.2 Beta
Re: List generation output
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 12:02:24 AM »
I solved this by create a Debug.Log script and outputting each random string to a float variable, which then printed it to a log, and then copying and pasting from the log into notepad++ to remove the unwanted text. 

Took about 20 minutes, but that's better than what I was looking at!  :)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: List generation output [solved-ish] :)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 03:45:05 AM »
Hi,

you have a good point here, I'll see what I can do on my next iteration of ArrayMaker to propose content saving in text files.

bye,

Jean