playMaker

Author Topic: Destroy Self causes graphics "hole" in shape of object? - UPDATED  (Read 2442 times)

Netjera

• Playmaker Newbie
I went through Christopher Orth's tutorial series and he has us use GameObject: Destroy Self to clean up objects.  I'm doing that with a cube which has a size of 38, 115, 1 and a texture mapped just to the front of a small pot.  It is at z translation 9, in front of a "screen" object on which I've mapped a background image.  For some reason, when the object is destroyed, it leaves behind a grey graphics "hole" in front of the background, in the shape of the object.

Has anyone else seen this, and how do I fix it please?  Thanks!

EDIT:  Also note, this shows up in the build as well.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 08:04:59 AM by Netjera »

Netjera

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Destroy Self causes graphics "hole" in shape of object? - UPDATED
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 08:04:19 AM »
I figured out that this is caused by using the Transparent: Cutout: Diffuse shader.  However, I can not figure out how to fix it. 

I don't want to use a regular transparent shader, because it shows the entire background of the object and it looks like there's a very faint, light square around it, instead of it being completely transparent.  Transparent cutout allows me to use the alpha slider to identify just the object, and hides the rest of the cube.

Anybody have any thoughts or ideas, please?  Going frantic!

Netjera

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 01:48:05 PM »
Okay, this is driving me nuts.  I tried to reproduce this error in a clean scene, and on first try, I cannot.  I can't figure out why it's happening in-game though.  It makes no sense.

I opened a new scene, and used the exact same objects from the game, trying to see if I could figure out a way around the issue, and in a clean environment, the issue doesn't happen!

Anybody got any debugging suggestions?  This is WEIRD.

Thanks!

Netjera

Netjera

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 03:35:49 PM »
On further examination, the issue must be a conflict in the original version, with something going on in the transparent:cutout:diffuse shader.  I'm going to try to add in components in the working scene to see if I can trigger, and therefore, pinpoint the error.