playMaker

Author Topic: Photon Playmaker Demo  (Read 11935 times)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Photon Playmaker Demo
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 04:27:27 AM »
Hi,

Some infos about the difference between RECEIVED ROOM LIST and RECEIVED ROOM LIST UPDATE

RECEIVED ROOM LIST is fired when you get into the lobby. You get a current list of rooms. that is the first thing you get and with the first event, you know that the list is now available.

RECEIVED ROOM LIST UPDATE is updated as room listing is changing.

So really, you should implement both, even if they redirect to the same state. Photon might evolve in that area and end up with only one event eventually.

Bye,

Jean

markfrancombe

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 08:16:42 AM »
I still havent implemented the next stage of my connection and spawning of 4 characters to ONE room, THEN creating a new room.

Im waiting to get a free DAY (rare) to do it all in one go, cos starting up after a break is so time consuming.
I decided to plan my theory as aflow diagram, and thought I would run it past you guys to see if Im on the right track:

Please say if there are any things that look a bit wonky.
Mostly I am unsure what will happen as people quit early. Currently I think it will keep incrementing the room number, unless the LATEST room created quits completely... hopefully thats enough. If all players quit I think it will start at room number 1 again.. I think... but not sure...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:20:33 AM by markfrancombe »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 09:16:53 AM »
Hi,

if people quit early, then the number of player will be one less, and so next time someone wants to join it will account for this. that will be fine.

bye,

Jean

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 09:19:47 AM »
Hi,

ah no wait... since you have hardcoded the name of the player based on their number this will fail...

indeed you need to maintain a list of who is there in terms of role, not room player number. you have different ways to achieve this, the obvious way would be to have reference of your four players, and if null, then it means the next player gets assigned this one.

bye,

Jean

markfrancombe

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 10:14:37 AM »
Damn yes... well spotted...

You have different ways to achieve this, the obvious way would be to have reference of your four players, and if null, then it means the next player gets assigned this one.

CAn you expand on this... What would I use for this?

markfrancombe

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 05:02:46 AM »
No reply on my question regarding how to achieve referencing my 4 players as yet?
Still needing help there.

But more thought on the subjects of course only throws up more questions!

My thoughts now are regarding the actual instantiated0 of players, and the construction of those players.

Do you think it it better to have ONE HUGELY COMPLEX player prefab, that is the only one that ACTUALLY gets instantiated, BUT has different game objects that get enabled/disable dependent on the assigned role?
Therefore the PRIEST, gets its mesh turned on,along with all the other stuff pertaining to that role; (the dialog FSMĀ“s, animations, etc)  but the other 3 characters meshes (and stuff ) gets disabled.

OR, is it better (and simpler) to have 4 different Prefabs, that contain all I need for that character, and the connection FSM, simply assigns the user a role and enables THAT one?

I think, after writing it, that I have the answer.. ha ha! Number 2 seems much easier!

Mark

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 09:06:07 AM »
Hi,

yes number 2 is likely the best way to go.

instantiating different is not difficult so you will find that it's less difficult to work with distinct players especially during development, else testing will become difficult over time.

Bye,

Jean