playMaker

Author Topic: State Machine Simple Game Examples  (Read 5617 times)

Psmith

• Playmaker Newbie
State Machine Simple Game Examples
« on: May 26, 2011, 07:53:40 PM »
Since, I assume, Playmaker exists for those not wanting to write code - a codeless user could greatly benefit from a demonstration of how to produce and complete, from start to finish, a very simple game with stereotypical game functions.

"Baby Steps" is the cliche I would use.

It's hard for a completely new user, who has no experience making any kind of game to piece together all the separate bits, using Playmaker, and end up with something that "just works", as the Unity people love to say.

Perhaps this is just too time consuming an endeavor for those busy, either making a game or making software that makes games - and, if that is the case, I can find no fault.  But, it sure would help a large number of aspiring and perspiring people.

Psmith

tobbeo

• 1.2 Beta
Re: State Machine Simple Game Examples
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 08:52:31 PM »
I'm an artist very extremely little coding background. I've tried to learn coding before Playmaker came out and was progressing very slowly. Now that I am using Playmaker my game is progressing at a speed where I can actually see myself finishing this in the foreseeable future! The advertising that Playmaker can make anyone a game-developer I think is very true. Without much guidance I've been able to pick it up.

I would do a tutorial if I had the time, and I might after my work-work is calming down, but if you sit down and try the baby steps yourself I am sure that you'd make progress. People are friendly on this forum too, if you run into basic issues I would just ask.

Tutorials is never a bad idea, I'm not saying anything against that, but it is a lot easier than you might think if you try some basic steps and ask questions here until people get a chance to make Playmaker tutorials.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 01:56:16 AM »
Hi,

I think the playmaker samples available in the package is THE perfect start, because they are all done using pur playmaker and official actions. Have you run through them and try to understand, mess with it, modify it, then replicate on an empty scene? this is the best way for you to learn on your own. Then, yes step by step tutorials or screencast is the way to go.

I think the disclaimer for any work with virtual 3d and programming application ( be it visual or scripted) is that hard work is needed, no matter the learning curve and how easy a tool can be. Your game will always have specifics that is hard to capture in a do it all system, and Unity/playmaker is one of the greatest combination I have found in that last decade to build simple AND/OR complex games or application to answer these specific needs.

Also, I think there is an mis conception that because it's visual, it means it's for kids or for complete newsbies. it is required to understand the underlying concepts behind the tool, understand and spot the best practice, get acquainted with the production flow. Not writing code is one thing, but you still need to be knowledgeable about how to think and build an algorithm to achieve a behavior for example. All this is unavoidable even as an artist with no coding knowledge. Think of Playmaker as a new brush you need to practice with to achieve the desired result.

The key is perseverance. Don't give up on a problem and try to find ways around, ask question in the forum, glance through the provided samples and spot a similar setup or solution and adapt it.

Bye,

Jean

Psmith

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 02:50:59 PM »
Hi Jean, and thanks for the encouragement and direction.

Assuming I am able to understand and put into practice all of the examples Alex and others have provided, are you saying that a complete game (a relatively simple one) could be made entirely with PlayMaker?  That would be wonderful.

What is still a mystery to me is what kind of "code" does PlayMaker generate - and can it be instantly, entirely used to generate a salable iPhone app for sale?  Or, are there other steps within the Unity environment that I would need to take to "wrap" all the loose ends up to deliver a finished product?

Is there an emulator for performance on an iPhone/iPodTouch that can be run within PlayMaker?  How easy is it to "compile" the PlayMaker code for testing on an actual iOS device?

One last question (for now):  Is it even advisable to consider making a truly 3D game for the iPhone, or is there just not enough system resources to run one?  Making a 2D game with Unity throws a whole lot of other problems/considerations into making a game, I'm sure.

Psmith

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 03:49:45 PM »
Hi,

Compiling for iOs is not different when you use playmaker, don't worry about the internals, it just works, and you don't anything special to make it work.

I don't have much experience yet with playmaker and iOs so I can speak about perfs. but NEVER RELY ON EMULATORS for iOS dev. Don't even bother run it in the iOS simulator provide by apple. It's pointless in my opinion, unless you don't have the device with you or are doing very specific worka that do not require you to check for perfs but rather for features validation. Two reasons: the unity emulator is not totally true and give only ruff idea of how it's going to look. I have to tweak and test on the device many times to achieve the right lighting, the right shaders settings etc etc. The second reasons is that emulators ( the unity one and the apple one) are simply way more powerfull in terms fo computation speed and memory allocation than the device itself. So you are in for big surprises when you will compile on the device for the first time the day before the deadline! this is very true if you start with all this, as you gain experience and as the project gets solid and tested, you can relax a bit more and only compile at the end of the day to enjoy your app on the device more than anything else, but during the first phase of devs for a new project, I really advice you to compile and test on every single features addition.

making games in 3d for iphone requires more than just raw artistic skills, you need specific skills on low poly modeling, texturing, shading, and inspiration when problems arise. the code ( or playmaker ) in itself is a lot less important when you target devices in my opinion, the fight is really in building a 3d world using the right balance between mesh accurary, texturing, and the global feels you want to give.

Making 2d games for iOs is totally possible, but for this I would recommend using SpriteManager 2 and EasyGui. Without, you are in for trouble and will likely fail to deliver a descent work. I have done proper hard core applications for ipads in full 2d ( think keynote/powerpoint presentations with embedded 3d) and this was made possible only because of SM2 and EasyGui.

Playmaker allows you to build an entire game using just fsm and the actions provided, be it for iOS, not difference here. But this very much depends on the complexity of the algorythm you need to build ( note that I am careful not to say the complexity of the game itself, cause this often an opposite equation, that a simple game is very difficult and complex to code, and vice versa).

I would actually even say, it can achieve more than just simple games. I am currently building a full blown industrial robot simulator involving two different types of very complex robots passing parts to each other in a very specific way with many hypothesis and cases to take in considerations during the process. This would be hell on toast without playmaker, and quite simply undoable without an event system. Playmaker shines in allowing you to define processes like a flow chart does, be it industrial or "game like", this is the same. Now, to continue with my robots, I have actually built the inverse kinematics of them using normal scripts. I am not saying it's not doable with playmaker, it's just that I would need to build so specific actions that it then starts to be silly to end up with a fsm with one single state and one action ending up doing all the work. There is a balance to find ( experience will tell) between building custom actions for specific needs and building everything with totally generic actions and ending up with huge fsm or set of fsm working together. But the beauty of playmaker is that even with all the complains with make about refactoring and production workflow, it is way easier to improve a process made with too much fsm than improve a process done in pure scripts, or for that matter, a huge do-it-all custom actions: you work against playmaker way of doing things and then ends up with one state not being to dispatch useful events, etc etc.

Bye,

Jean

Psmith

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 11:40:09 AM »
Thank you again, Jean.

After re-watching Alex's videos, things are beginning to sink in.  My hunch, though I have no experience with this, has always been that games should be more like robotic simulation - cause and effect, action and response - and that nearly everything I ever wanted to do, interactively, could be done by means of various "states" of things.

PlayMaker proves this hunch to be correct, I think.

What aspiring developers need most is more time - especially when working alone.  Time to develop assets, time to develop scenes and circumstances.  PlayMaker appears to be able to really abbreviate all of the rest of the unpleasantness (programming) associated with putting all the pieces together.

Of course, this the opinion of someone bent in the direction of making interactive art, rather than in the direction of "puzzle solving", or programming.

Psmith