playMaker

Author Topic: Custom GUI Graphics That Change According to Value  (Read 6257 times)

Psmith

• Playmaker Newbie
Custom GUI Graphics That Change According to Value
« on: May 28, 2011, 12:19:28 PM »
Watching Alex's video about GUI elements left me with the question:  "How can I make my own custom slider graphic elements?"  And, another one:  "How can I make GUI elements that change their appearance based on their value?

It appears that the built-in GUI "button" element included with PlayMaker has a choice for "Texture" of the button, (which, I assume is the button graphic, itself - not sure about various graphical states of the button, though). 

But, I didn't see this option for the GUI "slider" element.

What would be the process for making custom GUI graphic elements for both types of element, that change appearance when their values change?

Thanks,

Psmith

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Custom GUI Graphics That Change According to Value
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 06:43:39 AM »
Hi,

Custom graphics for gui elements is not really down to playmaker, but rather the job of the unity skin set up. Are you comfortable in using gui skins?

I don't think there are any ready made actions to influence the gui skin or affects colors etc etc. So I think you will need to roll your own custom actions.

If you describe in details what you want, I'll see what I can do to help you out with the task.

Bye,

Jean

Psmith

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 03:04:08 PM »
Jean:

I was thinking of things like animated buttons, (using an animation graph or something), and having sliders with a "thumb" that would "morph" larger or smaller, and animate something like a fill texture while doing this.  It's rather frivolous, I know.

Probably, something like this could just be put together as a series of "states" using existing actions.  Also, it's probably not very economical to do it this way.

I'll fool with it a while and maybe try to demonstrate with a short video what I manage to accomplish using states.  Then, if you or anyone finds it interesting, maybe such actions could be made into custom ones (by means of code).  I can't code to save my life.

Psmith

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 05:35:34 AM »
Hi,

For this, you are better off using Sprite Manager 2 and easyGui .

http://www.anbsoft.com/middleware/sm2/
http://www.anbsoft.com/middleware/ezgui/

They are fantastic tools, but not so easy. You'll need to really learn how to use them properly. Watch the videos and look at the examples, you'll understand the power behind them straight away. AND if you want to link playmaker with easyGui or SM2, don't hesitate to post requests on the forum.

Bye,

Jean

Psmith

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 03:04:13 PM »
Jean:

Through your recommendation I actually looked into both of these app a week or so ago - and they look like very nice products with advanced functionality.

But, these guys are aiming their products at small studios, (which I am not - just an aspiring professional, at this point).  I can tell by their price point.  Too spendy for people who are still grasping at straws, wondering whether they will ever absorb all the necessary information and become skilled enough to make even a simple game or application.

The tables seem to be only in the beginning hours of turning - changing the nature of application development from conditions which favor technicians to those which favor artists and designers.  PlayMaker is already a game changer, in this respect - and worth the cost, even for those who are just beginning.

Once the light finally dawns on the creative public and professional studio, alike - similar products will come out of the woodwork - and the price point will drop dramatically, in time.  It wouldn't surprise me to see the Unity people buy the rights to PlayMaker and fully integrate it into their flagship product. (Perhaps negotiations are proceeding at this very moment).

But thanks for your guidance, and I agree with you and these recommendations, but only for those already making money with Unity and PlayMaker.

Psmith

LordShaggy

• 1.2 Beta
  • Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 05:04:50 PM »
PlayMaker is a total game changer in my opinion.

Sorry, about the custom GUI graphics thing.  Dunno, out of all of playmaker the GUI part is where I am weak right now.  But hopefully while I make the vids, I will learn more on how to harness them.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 05:56:31 AM »
Hi Psmith,

Yes, they aim real world projects. In that context, it's a bargain! I guess this is very hard to justify spending a 100 box on some extensions that still requires you to learn it properly and will anyway not do the job for you. So yes, if you are simply playing around with Unity, then it's actually good that you need to roll your own system for all that. You'll learn! and when you will start proper projects, you will then have a much clearer vision of what extensions you need that will save you time and money. It's always a balance... I much prefer spending $300 on tools that will save me litteraly thousands and more importantly allow me to deliver in time with limited effort and stress! Without sm2 and easygui you can basically forget anything serious on mobile devices unless you have a team of developers and proper budgets.

As for playmaker itself. that's actually the opposite. DO GET IT if you start with Unity. As LordShaggy said, this is also a total change of perspective for me too in terms of how I approach development. I've been waiting for such intuitive visual fsm system for years and years.

Bye,

Jean

LordShaggy

• 1.2 Beta
  • Junior Playmaker
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 02:45:49 PM »
I know this is a weird concept, but you can make your interface using geometry.   Especially if you can keep it to really simple primitives, you can achieve a lot of what you want without using GUI stuff.

It takes a bit of a conceptual weird, but totally doable.  They even suggest it in places on the unity forms to try to increase performance.

Best advice a game developer can share with you.

Don't be afraid to make something that is not awesome.  Seriously!   Just make it, and move onto the next thing. 
You will learn something new every time you challenge yourself.

One more thing, when in doubt.  DOWN scope.   I made a game in 7hrs, it's not complete but not far from at least having all the parts of being a "game."   I can not make art that fast, and I did not have art available to me easily.  So, what can I make with just basic shapes. 

=)

tobbeo

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 04:02:24 PM »
The GUI for my game doesn't use Unity's GUI system at all. Just spritemanager and some playmaker graphs. I've done health (health bar), score, game communication, and charge bar this way. It's easy! :)