playMaker

Author Topic: Special jump direction  (Read 2038 times)

liero116

• Playmaker Newbie
Special jump direction
« on: January 20, 2013, 08:49:52 PM »
So Im trying to make this special kind of jump in my first person game.  Basically, you press this special jump (boost) button and you fly forward in your player's Z direction.  I already have this part working just fine.  The actual issue that I'm having is by looking in a different direction with the mouse, your forward momentum is changed to whatever direction you're facing.  What I want to happen is for you to activate the boost, you'll fly forward in whatever direction you were facing when you activated it and you'll continue to fly in that direction regardless of what direction you choose to look in afterwards.

I'm pretty much stuck on this one.  Any ideas?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Special jump direction
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 12:20:25 AM »
Hi,

What are you using currently to control your character?

If you are using the normal controller, I think you will be pretty stuck with what you have. If you have developped your own jump based on forces, then you can control the force direction, with the mouse and control it while jumping.

Have a look at this platform jumper example, it features a custom jump system, this would be a good base for your needs I think. It's fully documentated. If you have questions about it, don't hesitate.

https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W890

bye,

Jean

liero116

• Playmaker Newbie
[SOLVED] Special jump direction
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 05:30:58 AM »
I am using a character controller, but since I want this to work a certain way, it looks like I'll be looking to do a rigid body character instead.  Thanks for your help