playMaker

Author Topic: view more than one FSM at the same time  (Read 5804 times)

mrbdrm

• Playmaker Newbie
view more than one FSM at the same time
« on: February 07, 2013, 08:27:18 AM »
Hi
i have more than 4 object in the scene communicating and using globals so right now its really hard to debug them without seeing them all flow at the same time.
mutch better than setting 20 break points
thank you

Sjones

Re: view more than one FSM at the same time
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 12:00:36 PM »
multiple playmaker windows huh

+100

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 01:39:40 AM »
Hi,

yep, +100 for me too. But given the performances problems we have with one fsm, I would prefer that this option is only available when playmaker editor will evolve and become more and more efficient. But I would totally want this too.

bye,

Jean

Sjones

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 01:52:50 AM »
ahh, totally agree, performance is key, there is little point in multiple windows if we can not use them, maybe in the future

doppelmonster

• Grinder Games
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 09:59:37 AM »
While i love side by side comparison as an option too, here is another idea to keep the overview of all the FSMs in a Scene:

How about an "overview" so you see all the FSMs of the scene hierarchy in one Overview window. It could be the same concept like the FSMs (Actions are collapsed in states in one FSM) but one level above (States are collapsed in FSMs in the "Grand Overview").

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 10:58:03 AM »
I could see that being expensive also. Refactor after creating globals is already abysmally slow, I'd be frustrated further if I had to refactor every time I wanted to look at an fsm overview.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

Red

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 12:12:27 PM »
Well, assuming all you wanted to see was the FSM itself and not what's inside a particular state i can see a system that caches a sort of screen-capture of the FSM and uses that to satisfy this.

though, i would think that it'd get hairy if you wanted to compare the states and actions between two with this kind of system

Hmm... idea... have a system that caches a screenshot of the various FSMs that is independent of the graph view. from there, it caches the general position where the states are... when you click on a state, it then fetches the coordinates from a paired-up file (like a text file or xml or something) and then shows you a screenshot of the actions or just gives you a list of the actions. (i think screenshot would be most flexible since you could see how the actions are configured)

if it's all kept independent and separate and not using the same engine that the graph view uses, it might be possible to implement this without having to worry as much about two graph view windows fighting it out.

doppelmonster

• Grinder Games
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 09:17:12 AM »
I like the idea of Red but wouldnt need to look inside the FSMs but to see all of them side by side with usefull information for each (variables global/local, global events, send events) . Its also okay if its slow if its not meant to be used all the time but to get an overview and track down errors and redundant stuff. Maybe a list view would be already enough (i should check out the "Comms tool")

I created a little spreadsheet what i would like to see side by side for all FSMs
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Agp_gTvfqp3UdG9XVk5CNWlGWHpOUERZOVd5QXJLX1E

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 05:02:41 PM »
Yeah, I've been thinking about some kind of project level overview... something along the lines of your spreadsheet.

We also did a lot of work to optimize the graph view recently, so it might be more feasible to draw multiple graphs now...

Better overview/project management/searches is definitely going to be a focus in upcoming updates!

doppelmonster

• Grinder Games
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 03:31:57 AM »
Hi Alex,
that sounds great. Im pretty excited what you will come up with!