playMaker

Author Topic: Is PlayMaker efficient?  (Read 3718 times)

SKaterSam

• Playmaker Newbie
Is PlayMaker efficient?
« on: March 09, 2013, 05:33:52 AM »
I'm working on a rather large game, and would like to save time programming by just using PlayMaker. My only concern is is it as efficient as lets say Js or C#?
Because if it's not I'm probably just going to program like normal seeing as I want this to run as fast as possible.

Thanks for any answers. :)

kiriri

Re: Is PlayMaker efficient?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 06:33:31 AM »
no fsm I've seen so far is as fast as normal code, so no, playmaker's no exception. Especially loops seem to be noticably slower in PlayMaker than in a normal script. Multithreading is not supported.

On the other hand there's stuff like the faster gui and the optimized screencasts.

=> Although PlayMaker is intended for artists, there's a reason why programmers use it too. You can save a lot of production time on the simple stuff (like trigger setups, AI etc) and although it may run like 10% slower, this may be worth it qualitywise. But that's just my 2 cents ;)
Best,
Sven

VictorRayDev

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 10:31:07 AM »
I'm currently working on a iphone game fully in playmaker 0 code. I'd say I have a lot of thing going on. Physic, Ai, Combo system, Powerup, a lot of animations. And I keep a steady 60fps on Iphone 4 so I think it is clearly possible to do a full game in playmaker. Cheers

Red

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 10:51:03 AM »
I think this is a tricky question to answer... The Playmaker package itself doesn't add much to the CPU overhead to your computer so this then becomes an issue of how efficient your own FSMs are set up.

If you make a system that is efficient in Playmaker, it will be efficient.

If you make a system that is basically spaghetti-code, it will not be efficient.

it depends on how you approach your game systems.